Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 98 ford Taurus se 3.0 v6 it is losing water the heater core has been bypassed no visible leaks oil is clean every time i put water in it comes back out of the Reservoir if you let it sit when warm about an hr later the Reservoir will be empty the water pump is only 4yrs old and my uncle said it was pumping and he put a new thermos stat in it today

one day last month the belt poped off it and it got hot enough where the antifreeze was boiling out from the Reservoir after noted the belt came off and i shut it down

it was working perfectly before that

so i have know idea to where the water is going

·
Registered
697 Posts
Do you smell hot coolant after the engine is running (not from the degas tank)? Is there a puddle under the car?

If so, you may have a leaky engine front cover AKA timing chain cover gasket.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
When the belt came off was it overheating or showing overheated when it was boiling out the reservoir? Can you find any source of coolant stains on the block where the coolant may be hitting the ground before hitting the ground. Also don't assume a four year old water pump is not leaking, seals can go, so check around the weep hole in the bottom of the pump as well.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
From what you say happened, that is blow head gasket territory. Engines don't like to be overheats, things warp and stretch when they get too hot. You will not always get oil and antifreeze mixed from head gaskets, only if the leak breaches an oil passage. It is not uncommon for a leak to only breach a water passage. With the reservoir cap off, engine running are there bubbles in the coolant?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
i have a 98 ford Taurus se 3.0 v6 it is losing water the heater core has been bypassed no visible leaks oil is clean every time i put water in it comes back out of the Reservoir if you let it sit when warm about an hr later the Reservoir will be empty the water pump is only 4yrs old and my uncle said it was pumping and he put a new thermos stat in it today

one day last month the belt poped off it and it got hot enough where the antifreeze was boiling out from the Reservoir after noted the belt came off and i shut it down

Check the timing cover, like other people said. Check the steel pipes along the firewall for rust and make sure there's no crack on the bottom of the coolant tank. When the belt came off, didn't you notice the lack of power steering?

Hopefully you didn't blow a head gasket, but there's a good possibility.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Water P

When you loose the belt, you lose the water pump. That is worse than overheat. Water stops circulating and you now have a steam boiler. My daughter had a idler pulley come off a Exxex. She drove it to a garage nearby. They replaced the pulley and filled with coolant. Ok for a few miles, then it blew up.

-chart-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When the belt came off, didn't you notice the lack of power steering?
i was not moving when it came off i was parked writing something on a piece of paper when i went to leave i noted the belt poped off the bad thing is it was on one of them real hot days and the ac was on full blast

like i said no visible leaks

the tank has water in it that i put in in it this morning i just never started it

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
sounds like you have a bad water pump now. like chart said you have a boiler now. the coolant cant circulate to cool and starts to boil. the pressure from the steam has to go somewhere. out the overflow. change the pump, thermo ( with motocraft ) and use premix coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts