Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here a while back about a couple issues and now I have a new one!! Lucky me... I was driving into the local walmart parking lot last week and when i was getting ready to stop and back into a parking spot I lost my power steering and the battery light came on... I came to a complete stop and turn down the music so I could here the car run but by the time I got the music down the light went off and the power steering came back. I have been having a little bit of an issue with the car being doggy with the heater on. I'm jsut curious... does this sound like an alternator gone bad?? I have changed all the fluids in the car and done a tune up (minus plugs, wires, battery and alternator) I'm a little confused because this is the first time its done this and it hasn't done it since.... It was raining out at the time. The car has 94k and is a 98 se 24v. Thanks guys and gals!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Rain + power steering loss = time for a new serpentine belt. ou drove through a puddle and the belt got wet.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Exactly, the power steering pump has nothing to do with the electrical system, but both the electrical and power steering require that the belt turns, and that it doesn't slip.

I would agree, your belt is getting old, or your tensioner is not working properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have driven through a puddle... I really can't remember now!! But that does sound right!! I have monday and tuesday off... I'll inspect and replace if needed then. thanks a lot everyone for the quick responses!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts