Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about how to remove the instrumental cluster because one of the light bulf behind the cluster is gone today. I am not sure how to remove surrounding panel of '98 Taurus (with side transmission shift stick). I would like to know if all I need to do is unscrewing two bolts and pull the panel out. Can any body give me a correct answer for 98 Taurus? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Welcome to the club! Do you have the auto climate control? If not, then everything will be easy. First to do its get the Ford Radio Kit Removal and take out the stock radio. Then you will see a a plastic surrounding the radio once you have removed the radio. You will see (4) bolts nuts and take them out and then pull back that piece of trim (plastic you removed). Once you do all that, look to your left and you will see the headlight panel switch trim. Take a flathead or something to pull it too. Then next to the steering wheel you will see 2 bolt nuts in each side and remove them. As soon as you remove them, look in the top and in front of the inst. panel and remove those bolt nuts too. Then pull the A/C vent and trim assembly. So now you will see some bolts nuts that are tightened in the instr. panel and remove them and then you can take out your cluster. Hope you understand everything, if you have more question about it just pm and I will send you detailed pictures. Hope this work for you buddy.

Frank

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your kind responses. I checked out the removal instruction written by Firespirit. Oh. I have a column shifter. Because some people said it was not necessary to remove radio and headlight panel to access to the instrument cluster, I wanted to make sure what I would do with my 98. Sable97 graciously confirmed the procedure. Therefore, I removed headlight panel and confirmed that plastic trim surrounding instrument cluster was fixed by a bolt hidden behind of headlight panel trim. That means I just cannot pull cluster trim out with removing two bolts at the top. Thanks for your help, guys.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Fisrt off, welcome to the club. If anybody in this club would tell you one very important piece of information it would be to invest in a Chilton or Haynes manual. That IS the Bible of repair, maintainence as well and the tool used to get the ball rolling when it comes to modifications. You can't go wrong with one. Also go to Wal-mart and get some head unit removal tabs. You'll always need to keep them handy especially when you're doing speedo and dash work. Everything involved in almost every process involved in these two involves removing the radio. Good luck. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
No problem, buddy. Well I don't know who told you it wasn't necessary to remove the headlights switch and something else. Glad you have made it, plus Ash write-up its really good.

Frank

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'm doing white-faced gauges and a silver gauge cluster surround soon. I have a floor shifter, so it's much easier for me to remove my cluster. I'm going to do a write-up when I get around to finally putting the things in...damn I have no time.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Also, get both the Chilton's and the Haynes manuals. They're both good at explaining things, but there are certain situations where the Haynes manual might get things wrong or might be vague, and the Chilton's could have better information. I have both and use both equally as much.

JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts