Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. New to the forum and a complete car newb. I'll try my best though.

My 98 Taurus vulcan started acting strange. I left to go to work and when I put the car into drive I heard a little whine for a second or so. Then once I got to the end of the street and stopped the car died. I can start the car again with no problems but sometimes when I put it in drive it will stall. If I rev the engine a little I can put it in drive with no problem but it idles really low to the point of almost dying then idles back up, then really low again.

My father in law came over and said he thinks its a sensor problem. He pointed to the sensor I have circled in blue and said it was the MAP sensor and it might be the problem. When he unplugs this sensor the cars performance doesn't change at all. Upon looking at this forum I find that my can doesn't have a MAP sensor at all. But has a MAF sensor.

So a couple of questions.
1. What is the blue sensor I circled?
2. Is the red circle the MAF sensor? I have no clue what I'm looking at.
3. Does my problem sound like a sensor problem?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
could be a number of things.... how are the plugs and wires? how has the mpg been on the car. is the air filter clean? has the check engine light came on? it could be a sensor or fuel pump.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Blue circle is the dpfe (egr pressure sensor). Red circle is the iac (idle air control). Maf is the black plastic square sensor at the right end of the corrugated air hose in your pic. Check eng. light on? Any codes? Sounds like a sticking iac or vacuum leak. Might unplug and remove iac and spray with throttle body cleaner. Next time the idle is surging, tap iac with handle end of a screwdriver and see if it normalizes. If cleaning doesnt help, you may need to replace iac. Also, check for vacuum leaks, esp. hose atop the pcv valve on the passenger side rear valve cover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could be a number of things.... how are the plugs and wires? how has the mpg been on the car. is the air filter clean? has the check engine light came on? it could be a sensor or fuel pump.

The plugs and wires are relativity new. Around two years ago I had them replaced.

The mpg on the car hasn't changed much. I drive about 62 miles a day with a mix of highway and city driving and I get about 24mpg.

The check engine light has not come on.

Air filter is clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts