Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motor is the 3.0L 24 DOHC. Motor vin: S.I believe it has 160k on it.

The car started acting up about a week and a half ago. It was idling fine and now when we slow down to come to a stop, or close to it, the idle will drop out to about 500rpm and the car shakes. Occasionally at a light it will idle back and forth between 900-1300. It doesn't do this every time, though. It has been pretty sporatic but i believe its slowly becoming a regular thing. I can't figure out if it's happening because the car has been driven a while, or if it's the heat of the day (record triple digits here in texas), or if it's just random. I havent noticed it doing this in N or P. No check engine light, or other warning lights. Just the oil light when it's stalling. It's not overheating. Charging system is good. New fuel pump and filter. When it's acting up I usually put it in neutral so i can keep gassing it while i slow down and it wont stall. I dont have a lot of $$ to just throw parts at it, so please help if you can.

Also, I'm not familiar with these cars, but the rpms dont really drop much, if at all, when i let off the gas.

Yesterday when I started it (engine was still warm, just been driven) it immediately idled at 1500.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When it's acting up you can tap it lightly with a screwdriver handle and see if it corrects itself. That doesn't always work though. You can't clean the IAC on these because it will ruin them, so you just have to replace them.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Clean IAC

When it's acting up you can tap it lightly with a screwdriver handle and see if it corrects itself. That doesn't always work though. You can't clean the IAC on these because it will ruin them, so you just have to replace them.
Of course you can clean them. May not fix but worked for me on 2 of them. I used naptha and a Q-Tip, well several as they get quite dirty. Easy to reach the insides. Blow out with air or use a hair dryer.

Made a big difference on the '01. It used to search for idle speed on startup. Now just up to about 1100 and then slides back to normal. Maybe 50rpm from N to D and from A/C off to max.

Just my experience.

-chart-

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course you can clean them. May not fix but worked for me on 2 of them. I used naptha and a Q-Tip, well several as they get quite dirty. Easy to reach the insides. Blow out with air or use a hair dryer.

Made a big difference on the '01. It used to search for idle speed on startup. Now just up to about 1100 and then slides back to normal. Maybe 50rpm from N to D and from A/C off to max.

Just my experience.

-chart-
It's not recommended to clean them as any cleaner strong enough to get the gunk out will destroy the valve inside. Sounds like you got lucky.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Naptha

Where can I purchase naptha?
Naptha comes in quart cans at WalMart or Lowes or any other paint store. It is much like kerosene or mineral spirits but evaporates faster. The physical use of a Q-Tip helps get the solids out.

Handy solvent to have around to clean your greasy hands or other greasy parts.

-chart-

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
I just remove the iac and spray throttle body/air intake or brake cleaner on them. Might want to check the pcv hose and valve directly under the throttle body while youre at it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts