Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My taurus runs at around 16 MPG at local, reaching 26 to 28 MPG on high way. Just interested in whatyour gas milages are? What type of driving habit will help especially locally?

As I read from the forum, replace the chip will help. Anybody can comment on this please?

thanks for your input

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Replacing the chip could help, but IIRC, you need to use premium. I recommend a K&N air filter. Just get a panel filter for daily driving. I got like a 1-3 MPG increase in-town by doing this.

I get around 17-18 MPG city on the Essex. I really almost never drive it on the highway. I usually drive it to the store or to school and it's usually less than a couple miles away (I live in a small town that's about 50 square miles). When I drive, I usually get it up to speed (it usually shifts around 2k RPMs) and then let it coast until I get near a stop. I fill up once a month, twice in three months during the summer.

G

·
16 in the city isn't too bad, but 16 on the highway is awful. :blink: I would recommend you get your TB & MAF cleaned out, get a K & N panel filter, maybe run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it then take her out on the highway and open it up a little. I have heard in some cases where changing spark plugs can help, too. It is generally recommened to use Autolite platinums or OEM motorcrafts if you do change them. To give you an idea, I get about 20 MPG city with my vulcan when I'm really hard on it, 22ish if I'm good and I can get 30+ on the highway if I'm being good. I also have a K & N panel filter, intake silencer removed and flowmaster exhaust which all seemed to help a bit. Hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I get 21.5 MPG in my 98 Duratec. Thats about even time on the highway virsus city. And I drive like a frikin idiot. 0-60-0 every stoplight... Not really done a complete tank highway, but when it's been more then half highway I can push 25ish. Could probalby get close to 30 if I would go on a longer trip and baby it a little better. I have never gotten below 17ish.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 26 2004, 08:16 PM
Replacing the chip could help, but IIRC, you need to use premium. I recommend a K&N air filter. Just get a panel filter for daily driving. I got like a 1-3 MPG increase in-town by doing this.

I get around 17-18 MPG city on the Essex. I really almost never drive it on the highway. I usually drive it to the store or to school and it's usually less than a couple miles away (I live in a small town that's about 50 square miles). When I drive, I usually get it up to speed (it usually shifts around 2k RPMs) and then let it coast until I get near a stop. I fill up once a month, twice in three months during the summer.
Just want to confirm it is the air filter not the passenger compartment filter, right?
It seems pretty clean in my car, do I still need to replace it?

thanks

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have a K&N Panel and Silencer removed, Ill try cleaning everything out tomorrow.

I have a quick question for the Vulcan people, when you floor it from a stop do you get a small chirp of the tires? I had a rental vulcan once and it would do it but mine doesn't. Do they make them better now or is my car just performing that poorly :oops:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
me with a full gas thank i do 785 km and i still have some left all highway time at about 120 km all the way about 1/4 of my tank

oh and i do use my method to clean engine you know the one with water lollllllll

and this is real not a joke

and if i do city and higway it goes from 400 to 500 km sorry im not sure in mile

tell me if those are good

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Originally posted by dnehthend@Aug 26 2004, 11:22 PM
I have a quick question for the Vulcan people, when you floor it from a stop do you get a small chirp of the tires? I had a rental vulcan once and it would do it but mine doesn't. Do they make them better now or is my car just performing that poorly  :oops:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by batrachian+Aug 26 2004, 09:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (batrachian @ Aug 26 2004, 09:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Qwertz9586@Aug 26 2004, 08:16 PM

Just want to confirm it is the air filter not the passenger compartment filter, right?
It seems pretty clean in my car, do I still need to replace it?

thanks [/b][/quote]
Yes, it's the normal air filter for the engine. If the cabin filter is dirty, you can cut up your old engine's panel filter and stick it there and you'll save some money. Otherwise, you don't need a K&N for the cabin. It's not even recommended to stick it in as a cabin filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts