Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked under the car and the floor board is essentially hanging a little right next to the rearward subframe mount. It was raining and I didn't want to hang out much longer and further investigate. What holds the subframe in place. Is this rot going to be the death of this car or is the subframe attached to something other than the floor board area? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have the same problem, beautiful car, 96 taurus, runs fantastic, full maint history from new. Problem is, the rear pass side subframe mount rusted off the body of the car. The subframe is in great shape, but the body mount with the inside nut for the subframe bolt is out.
I've posted some pics of my repairs on my profile photo album in the public venue. 96 taurus subframe rust repairs. I've taken it to several body and metal shops who all agree what I did was overkill, but will work well for the rest of the life of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't have any experience with subframes, but my first step would be to either find a replacement in good shape, or take your Tauruses to a welding shop and see if they can do anything to reinforce it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mag chloride

It’s not the road salt that is the problem. It’s magnesium chloride that some places use now. It will eat completely through undercoat and paint. Talk to any big paint manufacture or large trucking company, it is a problem. Google it to find out how bad it is. They have even started using it here in Oklahoma!:angry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have any experience with subframes, but my first step would be to either find a replacement in good shape, or take your Tauruses to a welding shop and see if they can do anything to reinforce it.
That's a good one. Also, you can stop in at any collision center or even Maaco. I don't think I would scrap the car, but I wouldn't want to see the bill either.:unsure:

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
^ JW loves cake......, but he hates rust and salt!!!
Terrible cake ingredients! :lol2:

--
If you live in the rust belt, have your vehicles under-body coated with oil, along with the door seams, rockers and wherever they can inject it. Around here, there's dozens of shops that will do it. I prefer do have it done in the spring. It works, for the most part. Makes for an ugly car though, you can tell what vehicles have been done and not, the oil will creep out about 2 inches around the door seams and turn black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts