Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a scan tool and here are the codes, where do i start? i replaced plugs/wires, tps sensor, fuell filter, pcv valve, all vaccum lines and it will not run. Car starts but dies instantly. any info would be great, thanks
-p0174
-p0113
-p0102
-p1504
-p1131
-p1151
-p0170
-p0122
-p0136
-p0156
-p1409

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Thats a long list of codes. Lets start on this.

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

A code P0113 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Internally failed IAT sensor
Faulty connection at IAT sensor
Open in IAT ground circuit or signal circuit
Short to voltage in IAT signal circuit or reference circuit
IAT harness and/or wiring routed too close to high-voltage wiring (e.g. alternator, spark plug cables, etc.)
Faulty PCM (less likely but not impossible)

A code P0102 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF may be disconnected, or a wiring connection may be bad
The MAF may be dirty or otherwise contaminated (Note: if you use a reusable oiled air filter, be careful not to apply too much oil or that can contaminate the MAF).
The MAF sensor may be faulty
The vehicle computer may be faulty (very rare)

P1504 indicates a problem with the Idle Air Control Circuit

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1

A code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Electrical:

Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

P0170 indicates that the Fuel Trim on Bank#1 is out of range or that corrective responses do not work.

A code P0122 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

TPS not mounted securely
TPS circuit short to ground or another wire
Faulty TPS
Damaged computer (PCM)

A code P0136 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty O2 sensor leak in exhaust close to O2 sensor
Short to voltage on O2 signal circuit
Open in circuit resistance caused by corrosion in connector

P0156 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

P1409? Electronic Vacuum Regulator Control circuit fault

So the ext step is, what do all these problems have in common?

Wiring damage, corroded connectors, short to ground, and PCM faults. Has this car been in a wreck? Has this car been flooded? Has this car been in a fire?

I would replace the entire wire harness and then see what happens from there. If that doesn't work, get a more advanced scantool to see what the computer is seeing from the sensors. If the computer does not get clear sensor signals, there will be fault codes and the engine may not run properly or at all. If you can determine what the computer is seeing, then you can get a better idea of what is going on.

If replacing the harness does not fix the problem, then the computer has likely been damaged somehow and will likely need to be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the car has never been totaled or in flood water, i inspected the wire harness and all the wires look good and clean. i dont know how to explain it, but the car starts up fine but as soon as you open the throttle it dies, and with the throttle opened a little bit it sounds like a gurgling noise?? nothing weird in the oil, could it be a bad pcm?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Absolutely. A bad PCM is a very real possibility. Its a rare problem, but it becomes much more likely when you have many codes affecting that many systems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got a used pcm from the junkyard with the same numbers, how do i program it? and that would be the cause of why the engine makes a deep gurgling sound when you hit the throttle? it almost sounds like an exhaust leak but coming from inside the motor if that makes sense??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts