Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the car yesterday, seemed to drive pretty nice. then when suddenly lost power could only do 25 30 mph. almost felt like running out of gas. so i checked the tranny fluid (was very low added some) when i restarted drove fine for about a mile then happened again, tried to limp it home it eventually stalled at a stop sign. started again barely ran limped into a parking lot. when we looked at it tried turning it over it just went clunk. next morning. it started only let it run for 10 seconds ran kinda rough. found gas coming out of the exaust pipe, and the exaust manifold, and its in the oil. I checked the comuter codes but theres none.
Have several opinions, but not from anyone credible, including me.
can anyone please help me out?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I expected to get more help here
Just be patient. There are lots of really kind, helpful people here, but they don't always respond right away. Some of my threads about my '95's issues took a few days to get responses, let alone anywhere near telling me how to solve the problem. I just had to be patient. Yes, I did get answers to my questions.

As I say, you will get help. @Jeff K is a Ford Technician, but I don't think he's on every day. But, now that I've tagged him, he'll probably see this and chime in. Jag's one of the big bosses around here (hello, sir!). He seems pretty knowledgeable, too, but he's got a lot of work to do, keeping all of us in line (thanks, Jag, I appreciate you).

Now, to your problem. It sounds like you have more than one issue. Jag might be right about the plugged cat. My gut says bad fuel pump, for starters (caused it to stall, etc). As for fuel in your oil, bad head gasket, comes to mind. I'm not a mechanic, but I've read a lot of these forums over the years, and, in time, became familiar with symptoms of certain problems (and had a few symptoms crop up, myself), so I might be wrong, but I might be right.

·
Super Moderator
7,907 Posts
Fuel coming out the exhaust is pretty rare. My best guesses would be a stuck open injector(s), or more likely a shorted injector driver in the PCM or a short to VPWR (12V from the IRCM/CCRM) in an injector driver circuit.

Use a NOID light on each injector while cranking or running if you can get it to run. Light should flash on/off rapidly if PCM driver is OK and no short to VPWR. If light stays on constantly for any injector, you have one of the issues listed above. If light flashes for all injectors an injector may be stuck open.

If you dont have a NOID light could try pulling connector off each injector in turn and see if it starts / runs better. If it starts / runs better with one injector not powered, look at everything associated with that cylinder.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just got the car yesterday, seemed to drive pretty nice. then when suddenly lost power could only do 25 30 mph. almost felt like running out of gas. so i checked the tranny fluid (was very low added some) when i restarted drove fine for about a mile then happened again, tried to limp it home it eventually stalled at a stop sign. started again barely ran limped into a parking lot. when we looked at it tried turning it over it just went clunk. next morning. it started only let it run for 10 seconds ran kinda rough. found gas coming out of the exaust pipe, and the exaust manifold, and its in the oil. I checked the comuter codes but theres none.
Have several opinions, but not from anyone credible, including me.
can anyone please help me out?
Possibly the fuel pressure regulator is leaking could possibly be a bad intake manifold gasket. Check for diagnostic codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts