Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 98 Taurus that has been a huge pain but my concern now is I borrowed $2300.00 to have the Tranny rebuilt in Jan 2010 and it only ran right for a month and then is started slipping and not going into overdrive then magically fixed itself and then started not going into over drive 75% of the time. I took it back last week they cleared the codes out, the code was P1780 TCS out of Range, it worked fine for a day then the engine light came back on and also the Overdrive Off light flashed 50% of the time but DOES NOT coincide with rather or not it goes into overdrive. Well a few days ago the linkage went weird and wont go into park but will always shift into overdrive now. I took it back to the place (All-Trans) in Honolulu and I don’t want them to try to rip me off and I'm pretty sure the linkage is part of any automatic tranny so are these things that should not be going wrong with a rebuilt tranny that only has 3k miles on it? Thanx ahead of time for any help...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
That should be covered under your warranty. If something is wrong with the linkage, that would have been something they touched while working on your car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That should be covered under your warranty. If something is wrong with the linkage, that would have been something they touched while working on your car.
Quite true. Hopefully, he didn't go through a shop that once they've collected your money, they don't want to see you again - even if issues are experienced with their work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They say its an issue withing the linkage at the steering column, Im taking it to a dealership and asking them to look and see if they even rebuilt it and if the problem was caused by them, and then they say they might have to replace the entire column and don't know for sure what the problem is...

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
If the shifter action is vague check the bolt at the bottom of the shifter that holds the bracket the end of the shifter cable attaches to. This is just above the brake pedal. If the bolt is loose, tighten it up.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Take it back to who rebuilt it. You should have a warranty on the work they did. Why is the dealer trying to sell you a whole column, when the problem is probably in the shifter cable linkage, or the range sensor on the transmission? Sounds like another crooked dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts