Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Ford dealer across the street from me has a 98 SHO for sale with only 60k miles. I went to check it out today and its in mint condition except I noticed a few things

Good:
Interior MINT! seats were great
Engine bay was clean as hell
black with tan interior
nice V-8 grumble

Bad:
the driver side mirror is heated but has a picture of a heated mirror and not the Heated script so it might have been replaced....
paint chipping on the bottom of the bumper not too big kinda small...
small... very small crack... like a star... on the bottom of the windshield

Really Bad:
When i went to drive the car didn't have an idle speed it just sat there and when i pressed the gas it didn't move at first i had to give it a bit of gas then he jumped into gear.

Anyway we sat and talked for a while and I asked him if the cams were welded and he said he didnt know that he would have to find out.... they probably weren't... he said that he would take care of the windsheild and detail the car and fill up all the fluids and sell it for 6900... he then took my keys to see my car and see how much it would trade in for... I wasnt too happy with the price as it was and figured I could talk him down since the cams were probably not welded.

he came back and was like well you have a very nice car sir its in excellent condition ill give you 1500 for it... now remember this is an exclusive....... wait did you say 1500??? At that point I tuned out and just sat there trying not to laugh... that car needs some help.. that transmission needs to be looked at and the cams need to be welded... he wants WAY too much for it...

Though I do have to say I enjoyed driving it... the V-8 has some pretty good pickup and the ride was nice!
I really need to find SHO seats now!!

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
~$1000 for the cams and a tune up and ~$2500 for a tranny.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I've seen it many times with V8 SHO's that have been sitting a while that the trans will completely drain back into the pan. It needs to run for a bit before the trans pump fills things back up, and until that happens you will have no line pressure to hold anything in.
If you just hop into a cold car, fire it over and throw it into gear immediately, that is pretty common. After it starts to move it shouldn't 'slip' again. If it does - walk away unless they are practically giving you the car.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (ImE1 @ Mar 23 2009, 01:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711463
I've seen it many times with V8 SHO's that have been sitting a while that the trans will completely drain back into the pan. It needs to run for a bit before the trans pump fills things back up, and until that happens you will have no line pressure to hold anything in.
If you just hop into a cold car, fire it over and throw it into gear immediately, that is pretty common. After it starts to move it shouldn't 'slip' again. If it does - walk away unless they are practically giving you the car.[/b]
It hasn't been sitting for a while since they just got it the other day.. and the same thing happened when he went to drive it out of the spot

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
If that car just got on the lot and the transmission is going on it, along with a cam weld, I might offer 1000, max 1500 for it. You're gonna have to put in a good 3500 into it anyway...

Of course no dealer would sell that car for so little today, so :dunno:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 23 2009, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711459
he came back and was like well you have a very nice car sir its in excellent condition ill give you 1500 for it... now remember this is an exclusive....... wait did you say 1500??? At that point I tuned out and just sat there trying not to laugh... that car needs some help.. that transmission needs to be looked at and the cams need to be welded... he wants WAY too much for it...[/b]
:rofl: 1500!? Does he think you were born yesterday? This is why I will never trade a car in at the dealer, what a joke.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 23 2009, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711575
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 23 2009, 01:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711459
he came back and was like well you have a very nice car sir its in excellent condition ill give you 1500 for it... now remember this is an exclusive....... wait did you say 1500??? At that point I tuned out and just sat there trying not to laugh... that car needs some help.. that transmission needs to be looked at and the cams need to be welded... he wants WAY too much for it...[/b]
:rofl: 1500!? Does he think you were born yesterday? This is why I will never trade a car in at the dealer, what a joke.
[/b][/quote]
I'm actually almost surprised they offered $1500...if you get more then $500 for your trade, you're doing it wrong! :lol:

But anyway, that car isn't worth $7k. I'd buy Daniel's WAY before that...you'd have a hard time finding a better-sorted SHO than that from what little I've seen, despite the mileage difference.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If you didn't like the dealer quote, don't trade in the car... Sell it privately if you want to make some scratch... Just don't get too arrogant when you are setting a price... I know you love your car, but a 1999 Sable won't be worth the sun and the moon... (1500 is rediculous though)...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not that interested in selling it to be honest... I'd rather just keep driving it till its dead... I thought it would be a deal but after driving it I changed my mind.

I know my car isn't worth a lot... I was expecting maybe 3000 at least for it maybe more if I was lucky... The car is in pristine condition and pretty much has every available option from the factory minus a power passenger seat. 1500 was... to me a slap in the face :glare:

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 23 2009, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711615
Im not that interested in selling it to be honest... I'd rather just keep driving it till its dead... I thought it would be a deal but after driving it I changed my mind.

I know my car isn't worth a lot... I was expecting maybe 3000 at least for it maybe more if I was lucky... The car is in pristine condition and pretty much has every available option from the factory minus a power passenger seat. 1500 was... to me a slap in the face :glare:[/b]

Plus that sho is a POS anyways. Good chance the TC splines that drive the pump shaft are starting to go. or it could be the pump shaft going, or the pump it's self.. either way it's not worth anywhere near the asking price.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 23 2009, 08:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711615

I know my car isn't worth a lot... I was expecting maybe 3000 at least for it maybe more if I was lucky... The car is in pristine condition and pretty much has every available option from the factory minus a power passenger seat. 1500 was... to me a slap in the face :glare:[/b]
Trade-in on my '97 is $850, so I wouldn't feel bad. I paid more than that for the transmission alone.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Remember, dealer trade ins will only get you DEALER WHOLESALE VALUE. They aren't going to give you anything close to street value because they are in business to make money. If they can't mark it up, they don't want it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
People think every car they have is worth gold. Too bad it's only plastic and sheet-metal. Just because it's a low mileage SHO doesn't mean it's not a ticking time bomb. It's 10 years old, offer less that 4500. If he doesn't take it, then it will just sit in the lot until it rots or an idiot buys it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
QUOTE (Enzo731 @ Mar 30 2009, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713790
People think every car they have is worth gold. Too bad it's only plastic and sheet-metal. Just because it's a low mileage SHO doesn't mean it's not a ticking time bomb. It's 10 years old, offer less that 4500. If he doesn't take it, then it will just sit in the lot until it rots or an idiot buys it.[/b]
That's the problem though... There is some idiot that will buy it for that price!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ Mar 30 2009, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713793
QUOTE (Enzo731 @ Mar 30 2009, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713790
People think every car they have is worth gold. Too bad it's only plastic and sheet-metal. Just because it's a low mileage SHO doesn't mean it's not a ticking time bomb. It's 10 years old, offer less that 4500. If he doesn't take it, then it will just sit in the lot until it rots or an idiot buys it.[/b]
That's the problem though... There is some idiot that will buy it for that price!
[/b][/quote]

I kinda hope someone picks it up that isn't an idiot and fixes the problems it has... the exterior and interior are immaculate... if not I will have to steal those seats..... >.>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts