Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 1998 SHO the other day...white with tan interior...69K miles...CD changer, moon roof, auto lamps, EATC, dual power seats, chrome wheels, leather, etc, etc.

The asking price is $8,995. It's in immaculate condition. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the drivers door grab handle had wear on it. No ticking from the engine. Starts right up with a very nice rumble from the exhaust. Steering is probably the tightest I have felt in a car. I guess I forgot how nice they were? The car drove great...headlights are scratch free, it has EVERYTHING stock on it...right down to the "SHO" embroidered floor mats.

Basically I am posting to find out if this is a good deal. If it is not, I will print your posts and take them in to the dealership and see if they will negotiate. If not, oh well.

When I was driving it...I was stopped at a stop light and a guy in an F-150 pulled up next to me and motioned for me to roll down the window. He said "Hey, that an SHO? What dealership is selling this? I've been looking for one for a long time." I've never had anything like that happen to me before on a test drive. :blink:

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jul 17 2004, 08:14 PM
Kelly blue book gives a retail value of 11000$ in my neigborhood.
KBB Is NEVER An accurate source to quote. They always price things too high.

Kyle, I'd say even if it were immaculate you'd still need to have the cams welded (or whatever your preference) and such. Plus it's still just a Taurus; I wouldn't pay a cent over $6K if not 5K

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that $6,995 I wouldn't mind spending. Your absolutly right Ashley, KBB is always WAY high. Take a 98 SHO into a dealer and try to get a trade in and they will give you like 2,000 and sell it for $10,000. :rolleyes: I read somewhere KBB is actually paid by dealers to jack up the prices on things. There is also a seperate blue book for dealers that has the ACTUAL price of things.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jul 17 2004, 08:22 PM
There is also a seperate blue book for dealers that has the ACTUAL price of things.
There is! Well, at least the bank.. We went to go get a loan for a '99 SE with 52K miles. Clean car, vulcan engine... (Dodge) dealer said "Look, we have it just below KBB value!" he showed us the site, KBB quoted $8,950... Dealer had it at $7K.. I kept telling my mom that it was too much. That bull shouldnt have been worth more than $4K.. we went to the bank, the bank said they'd only approve $3K, because according to the book value they used, the car was only worth $4K :lol2: what a joke when we told the dealer!

S

·
0 Posts
go for it! Or I will. Im looking for a 98 SHO. Not really looking, but interested in one.

SableSal

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
with 69k and everything "Good" on the car I'd say $7500.00 is fair to low side.

Beat them up for $500 (or More) for camwelding because I wouldn't wanna start it without them.

Gen 3 Tranny's have a history of puking right around 75k so a warranty may be well worth the money if they offer one.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Mine too Ash... on the AX4S! 3 accidental neutral drops because after revving the engine it doesn't rev down fast enough before the light turns green, and I got ancy. Leaked transmission fluid from a factory trans cooler line at 77,000 miles to the point there was none on the dipstick, and you could hear the trans whining. Once that was fixed (mind you it had to be driven like that to get fixed) we had the pan dropped and a fluid change and the things shifted beautifully. Up until the cars demise at 92-93,000 miles.

But then again, I think this car was a freak, trans went through all that and shifted perfectly. When my parents drove it shifted slow and soft, when I drove after them (fast spirited driving) about 5 minutes later it would shift firm and fast. The engine seemed to move the car out well considering a friend of mine had an equally equipped 98 SE Vulcan, that I even saw recieve preventive maitnenance like there would never be another car ever, and we raced even though it was him and one other person to my me and 5 other people (everyseat used), I got him off the line (how who knows because the vulcan can't spin the tires well atleast the Yokohamas that were on it) and he was behind about a fender/door, and I took him from the shifts and kept pulling away to about 2 car lengths at 80. My Vulcan had original everything plugs and wires wise...

But enough reminiscing on my long gone car.. Its true though that you should get a warranty for it if they offer one, I had an engine, flexplate, then trans go after I bought my Regal with 81k on it, engine threw a rod a day after we bought it, and the flexplate cracked at the same time, then 2 months later at about 85k the trans went (lost 3rd gear). Owner really did crap for maitnenace on this car. You can never be to sure with used cars, especially one with a $10,000 Yamaha-Duratec engine, coupled to a weak AX4N.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Jul 18 2004, 12:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Jul 18 2004, 12:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ImE1@Jul 17 2004, 10:51 PM
Gen 3 Tranny's have a history of puking right around 75k so a warranty may be well worth the money if they offer one.
:blink: Then my car must be special. 90K miles original tranny and engine. [/b][/quote]
We had one guy on V8SHO.com that had 271,000 miles - original trans, original motor - the world record as we know it for gen 3 drivetrain. Guy sold the car and it's still running AFAIK.

Other folks' results have varied....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts