Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I am posting again on this, but really need this fixed. On my 98 SE under the dash where the brake pedal shaft goes into the firewall, there is a loss of air around the shaft. I can hear it go shhhhhhh when I push on the brake pedal. It allows the brake pedal to go to far to the floor. If I pump the brakes once, the pedal is better, but still goes shhhhhh, losing air. This is what I think is causing a whistle sound also. We have done a complete brake job, including complete bleeding. Please tell me if this is an easy or dificult fix or if I can let it go, or if this is dangerous. My daughter leaves for college in a week. Thanks.

·
Registered
697 Posts
It sounds like your vacuum booster has a leak. It doesn't look too difficult to replace but will require you removing the master cylinder which involves disconnecting the brake lines from the MC. You don't necessarily have to do a full bleeding of the brakes again if you plug the M/C ports and don't allow any air to get in.

Several how-tos on the web.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this dangerous(brake failure) or can I wait a while? Will I need to buy a whole new booster?

·
Premium Member
14,356 Posts
Anything not functioning the way designed with the brake system is dangerous. I know I wouldnt let my daughter leave the house with a car with that brake issue.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The way the pedal is behaving along with the sounds you are hearing seems to indicate the valve that controls the entry of atmospheric air into the firewall side of the booster diaphragm is leaky. This would probably make braking modulation inconsistent. Have you driven the car and tested the brakes - what is your experience?

It should be replaced ASAP and you would have to buy a booster replacement since I don't believe they are easily repaired. Fortunately they are not too expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I drove the car, the pedal went down further than it should by a little and got the shhhhh noise. If I pumped the brake once then push it, it felt better with less shhhhh noise. I found a brake booster online for around $70 before core charge. It comes with instuctions and it doesn't seem to bad to do. Just figuring where the bolts come through the firewall to disconnect and reconnect is the hardest part. Thanks for the input! I will get this fixed ASAP!

·
Registered
697 Posts
As long as you are certain that the rest of the brake system is working satisfactorily, i.e. no sponginess when applying brakes, then replacing the booster should put things right.

If you need the section on booster replacement, PM me with your email and I'll send you the section from the Ford DVD.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Brakes

Sorry I am posting again on this, but really need this fixed. On my 98 SE under the dash where the brake pedal shaft goes into the firewall, there is a loss of air around the shaft. I can hear it go shhhhhhh when I push on the brake pedal. It allows the brake pedal to go to far to the floor. If I pump the brakes once, the pedal is better, but still goes shhhhhh, losing air. This is what I think is causing a whistle sound also. We have done a complete brake job, including complete bleeding. Please tell me if this is an easy or dificult fix or if I can let it go, or if this is dangerous. My daughter leaves for college in a week. Thanks.
The sound is normal. The pedal going down too far is not. That is not the booster fault. It is the brake system that determines the brake travel.

Reasons for excess travel.
Air in system
Too much clearance in pads or shoes.

Either will "pump up" with a second quick pedal push.
Air tends to be soft when it hit hits the end of travel while excess clearance will be firm.

I think you are off track on the booster.

Just my take.

-chart-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We changed the pads on front, the shoes on back and rear wheel cyl on back. We bled the brakes back to front in order till all new fluid running. No air in lines.
The brakes work great! the only thing is the air on the shaft from the booster through the firewall. I've heard the air sound before as "normal" but this is different. It is more than normal. If there is a diaphram in there, then it sounds like air leaking more than normal.
Also the "whistle soud gets me. It sounds like an air whistle from the booster. What about that? Also, I will bleed again just to be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts