Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Sable DOHC floor shift Auto. 106k miles. Runs great in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd not so good in overdrive. The problem tends to happen more when it first goes into overdrive. If on highway going down a hill, overdrive appears to be fine. Going up hill in overdrive, while under a load, approx. 2k to 2300 rpm, it appears to be slipping, jumping, surging. It did have code p1741. I removed the valve body and pump shaft. Bearings in pump were worn, shaft scared up inside of valve body hole and seals were about half gone. So I replaced valve body, pump, shaft and seals are fine. Still slips. My question is, do you think it is simply the torque converter bad or overdrive part of the actual trans bad (bands-gears, ??) I am thinking it is just the torque converter, which screwed up the pump bearing, shaft, seals and also causing the slipping. Do you think trans is fine?? Any suggestions??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed all the solenoids when I changed the valve body. I feel it is the same as before, so I think I ruled out the solenoids. Thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It could be possable that some metal shaving got into the internal clutchs when the pump shaft went, or that the overdrive clutch overheated when the pump failed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
May seem silly for asking, but the internal clutches you mention, clutches in the torque converter or actual trans. Also, overdrive clutch, is that in the torque converter or in the actual trans.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
May seem silly for asking, but the internal clutches you mention, clutches in the torque converter or actual trans. Also, overdrive clutch, is that in the torque converter or in the actual trans.
Actual tranmission, it would need a rebuild if that is whats wrong with it. I would start looking for a good transmission shop to get a pro's opinion. If you decide you want to keep the car, spend a bit more and have it rebuilt stronger than spec, also get the shift kit installed, it'll last longer with a shift kit. Make sure wherever you bring it, they offer at least a 2yr/24k mile warranty, the longer the better, and longer means they stand behind their product more than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts