Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98 Sable. I'm tired of pulling away and having to recheck the light switch because I can't tell if my headlights are on. I've polished up the lenses, but I'm not satisfied. Today I took the plunge and ordered an HID kit. Its a VVME Bi-Xenon kit, 9007 bulb at 6000k. I'm confident about the install, only I don't know where I'm going to put the ballasts. Not a lot of room around the Duratec, and the wiring harness is only so long. Anyone done this before? Ideas?

On a similar note, my light switch has the pull out setting for fog lights, only my car is not equipped with fog lights, nor do I think there is a factory option for them. Could I use that as a trigger for some other system? And aside from underglow (no thank you), what mod might you use that for? The headlights would have to be on...

·
Registered
294 Posts
hids

idk how different under the hood it is between a sable and a taurus. but in my album, i have pictures of under my hood and i circled where i put the ballasts in my taurus. it did take me like 45 minutes to figure out where to put my ballasts, but i managed to finagle them in there. you will need tie wraps!! also, you could connect a some other kind of lights to that switch... examples: audi type light strips in headlights, or footwell lights inside the car. I did the footwell lights. I have yet to post pics, but it looks pretty sweet, i hooked them up so they come on when i turn my headlights on using the wire to the green interior light behind the headlight switch. i also have a manual shut-off should i need to.
:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at that. Perfect. Its just about identical. I was thinking strut towers, but I was concerned about the harness making it to the bulb. Its easier to visualize now. I'll have to take some pictures for the next poor guy who realizes there's no where to put those bricks. I'm still stumped on what to do with the light switch tho. I'm not really one for visual modifications. I'm doing these headlights to see better on the road, and the only other mods I've done are a remote starter and modest sound system for my own convenience.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed the very same VVME bi-xenon kit last weekend. Very simple to do, but just so you are aware, you have to swap two wires when you install. The relay you will get with the kit is setup for 9004 bulbs (use the same plug) but our are 9007. When you look at the big blue plug on your relay when you get it, there are three wires running into it, brown, white, and blue. If you plug it in as is your high beams won't work but the blue high beam light will be on all the time. you need to swap white and blue. I didn't see an easy way to swap the actual pins in the plug, so I just cut the white and blue wires about 3 inches from the plug and crossed them. Everything works great now.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
On a similar note, my light switch has the pull out setting for fog lights, only my car is not equipped with fog lights, nor do I think there is a factory option for them. Could I use that as a trigger for some other system? And aside from underglow (no thank you), what mod might you use that for? The headlights would have to be on...
Nice job at blinding everyone else on the road. ;)

Also no. All G3's have this "pull out" feature for "foglights" but it actually has no pinout for it and doesn't actually trigger anything. I sat at a table with a multimeter for an hour or so and confirmed this. Sorry :( I was hoping to use it for my aftermarket fogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, bandit, for warning me in advance. I saw the blurb about that in the online installation manual, so its nice to know what to expect in the case of a sable.

And mediarocker, I hate to say it, but I actually agree about the blinding people thing. Its kind of the same deal as my system. I have no interest in letting people a mile down the road know im coming with my subs. But I commuted 2 hours a day, and wanted iPod/cd compatability and crisp bass. I kept it very reasonable, but even still you can still hear a rattle from outside the car. I hate being blinded by HIDs just as much as the next guy, but I'm sick of having to rely on street lamps to see at night. I downgraded my order from 6000k to 4300k bulbs after seeing some comparisons online, but other than that, there's not much else I can do while still addressing the problem. And thanks for clearing up the light switch thing. I was going nuts thinking about what to do with an unused factory switch. Now ill just go nuts knowing there's a switch in my car that can't possibly do anything!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
And mediarocker, I hate to say it, but I actually agree about the blinding people thing. Its kind of the same deal as my system. I have no interest in letting people a mile down the road know im coming with my subs. But I commuted 2 hours a day, and wanted iPod/cd compatability and crisp bass. I kept it very reasonable, but even still you can still hear a rattle from outside the car. I hate being blinded by HIDs just as much as the next guy, but I'm sick of having to rely on street lamps to see at night. I downgraded my order from 6000k to 4300k bulbs after seeing some comparisons online, but other than that, there's not much else I can do while still addressing the problem.
You can install projector headlights. Buy some TYC or Depo headlights on the cheap (they suck and are aftermarket "crash" replacement parts.) And modify them with some Morimoto projectors. I understand you standpoint however. The work is decent but it's worth it. Much more usable light (even without HID's), and you won't blind people.
And thanks for clearing up the light switch thing. I was going nuts thinking about what to do with an unused factory switch. Now ill just go nuts knowing there's a switch in my car that can't possibly do anything!
Yeah I know, it's not actually a switch though.. just a design for later implementation. It's stupid though. :mellow:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone ever have trouble with their bixenons popping the high beam fuse? Mine have been in for 6 months, and I just noticed last weekend I have no high beams now. I checked the fuse under the steering wheel, and sure enough it was blown, put in a new one, pulled the high beam lever and pop, instantly out. Wondering if maybe something went out with my wiring harness. I think this weekend I'll disconnect the harness, and replace the fuse and see if it goes out and if I see voltage at the OEM plug. If I do and then plug it in and it pops, I'd assume its my harness

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
So you want to see. Its been said before, get a relay harness. Your stock headlight bulbs will not produce the advertised levels of light unless they can get a full 14.4 volts of power from the battery. Most headlights get only about 12 volts, which costs you about 30% or more total brightness. The stock setup uses too small of wiring, too long a run, and goes through multiple switches all of which add resistance, which reduces voltage, which reduces brightness. A headlight relay harness makes a huge difference in the brightness of the headlights. To go further, they are safe and legal. HID conversions on the other hand are neither safe nor legal, nor do they actually improve your night vision, though they do give a strong false perception that you can see better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually just finished retrofitting my own headlights with 35w 6000k hids and halo lights took a long time to figure out how to do it. I actually went to the junk yard and I got a pair of HID Projectors off a 2009 Mitsubishi eclipse that the front headlights had been smashed in for free. and also another spare pair of headlights that I could use if i messed up

Im so glad that I spent the time and effort getting it just right the light output on the road is roughly 10 times better with projectors compared to a pnp hid kit with halogen enclosure and doesn't blind drivers either.

here are a couple pics
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0344.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0343.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0342.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0341.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
looks good but god damn get some new lenses.

and did the eclipse have factory xenons? i hope you didnt use halogen projectors.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I actually just finished retrofitting my own headlights with 35w 6000k hids and halo lights took a long time to figure out how to do it. I actually went to the junk yard and I got a pair of HID Projectors off a 2009 Mitsubishi eclipse that the front headlights had been smashed in for free. and also another spare pair of headlights that I could use if i messed up

Im so glad that I spent the time and effort getting it just right the light output on the road is roughly 10 times better with projectors compared to a pnp hid kit with halogen enclosure and doesn't blind drivers either.

here are a couple pics
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0344.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0343.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0342.jpg
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab192/boberino93/IMG_0341.jpg
While I'm still not a fan of HID conversions, I'm glad you did this properly with projectors. The end result does look sharp. Good work.

I think your lenses are in fine shape, no need to replace them.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
projectors dont make any sense behind those lenses! the whole point is to have a sharp cutoff that doesnt blind others, a dirty/cloudy lense with scatter light everywhere, no where near as a bad as a pnp kit but i hated it when i put my morimoto projectors behind my crap lenses, i had to buy new headlights because for some reason you cant just get sable lenses.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Those lenses aren't that bad. Sure, they look great in new headlights, but if you drive the car daily, especially if you drive in a northern winter or ever go near a dirt road, you'd be replacing your lenses every 3 months to keep them looking any better than that. I polish mine whenever I polish the car, to try to keep them from getting too scuffed, but no way i could ever keep them perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The scattering I see in that lens is minimal. I would go over it with the Sylvania restoration kit, and use their clearcoat, and the subtle defects that are still left should be eliminated. But it really isn't that bad. I don't see much scattering happening with those lenses. Projectors do make sense. Its the stock reflectors that cause the scattering, since you are not using those, I think you are fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.