Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i am progressing on bringing my near death 98 back to life.

part one was getting salvaged brake lines from the bone yard and getting them put on sucessfully. during this install, one of the brake bleeder nuts on the rear disk stripped out, so it was off to the bone yard for more goodies

Found a nice caliper at the bone yard and did not have much issue
removing it. Of course, i cut the emergency brake cable with bolt cutters
to speed up the process.

Installation of the rear caliper was NOT so easy. I could not get the E brake cable removed from the defective caliper. tried and tried. no joy.
so it was off to more drastic measures of salvage. i had to cut into
the caliper with my angle grinder to be able to break loose the Ebrake cable from the old caliper. it was trashed anyway, but i needed to save the Ebrake cable

i finally got it off, but getting it back on was a royal pain. i could not get
the Ebrake cable nub into the pivot gear for the caliper. tried and tried. Finally i took off the curly spring to get the ebrake cable on. So success there, but now i had to get the curly spring back on. Tried and tried to get the end that goes on to the screw on with no luck. Finally, i tried the other end which i thought would be harder and stuck it into the Ebrake cable holder using channel locks.

stuck the caliper back on, but ran out of time to bleed and fill the system hopefully, the other side won't give me any greif in the process

morel of the story: **** that's been rusted on for over 12 years does not
always cooperate coming off or on.

·
Registered
23,577 Posts
Ive changed out the rear calipers on my so-equipped 98 sable years back w/o issue. Dont remember an e-brake hassle. Maybe it was my lucky day(s), lol.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Separating the emergency cable from the caliper is a bit tricky but it can be done. If I recall correctly, you have to fully compress the spring and then remove the cable. You can't very easily remove the cable if the spring has got it under a load. My son had to help me re-install new calipers by holding the caliper while I re-installed the spring and cable assembly. You need 3-arms and 3-hands for re-assembly.

Monsoon

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Separating the emergency cable from the caliper is a bit tricky but it can be done. If I recall correctly, you have to fully compress the spring and then remove the cable. You can't very easily remove the cable if the spring has got it under a load. My son had to help me re-install new calipers by holding the caliper while I re-installed the spring and cable assembly. You need 3-arms and 3-hands for re-assembly.

Monsoon
i am with you.but i was alone during this change with 1.5 arms (one hurting)
the key for me was removing the spring to put the Ebrake cable on then
putting the spring back on. I avoided taking the spring off for fear i would
not get it back on. I fought it, but finally got it back on

1 - 5 of 5 Posts