Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i have a 1998 ford Taurus SE and recently the radio display went out. but when i torn the outside marker lights / headlights on. the radios display lights up again. but when i torn the marker lights / headlights off the display gos out. why is it doing this and how do i fix it. ??

it did this once before and it started to work by it self. i don't have the money to get a aftermarket stereo install kit for it right now so any help would be good.

i can still lessen to it just with no display so the radio dose still work just not the display when the head lights are off

·
Banned
323 Posts
You can go to the junkyard and pick up a head unit (or 'football') for about $25. Then you just need the DIN tools to pop the old unit out. Unplug the 5 or 6 different plugs and plug them into the replacement unit, then just slide it back in.

You do know that the actual radio is in the trunk??

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jay not everyone is a native English speaker. I had no trouble understanding him.

Ricky, make sure your dimmer switch is not turned down.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
LOL Jay, you went nuclear right off the bat.

Looking at wiring diagrams the radio illumination circuit is tied into the headlamp switch which actually includes a PWM modulated autolamp module (transistorized). Anyway, try turning the autolamps on and off, check fuses in the instrument panel fuse box, and play with the interior lights. Beyond that I don't know, but it would seem to be a problem in the car's wiring and not the radio itself as the radio module only receives one illumination wire, a light blue black stripe one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can go to the junkyard and pick up a head unit
(or 'football') for about $25.
why when i could just put a aftermarket cd player in it i do have 2 of them after all

and i hate football it is the most useless wast of time ever

Then you just need the DIN tools to pop the old unit out.
got them

You do know that the actual radio is in the trunk??
no you don't say will what do you know :rolleyes2: i know that but the controls and display for it is in the dash

Jay not everyone is a native English speaker. I had no trouble understanding him.

Ricky, make sure your dimmer switch is not turned down.
thank you and i try'ed the dimmer wheel but nothing happened

LOL Jay, you went nuclear right off the bat.

Looking at wiring diagrams the radio illumination circuit is tied into the headlamp switch which actually includes a PWM modulated autolamp module (transistorized). Anyway, try turning the autolamps on and off, check fuses in the instrument panel fuse box, and play with the interior lights. Beyond that I don't know, but it would seem to be a problem in the car's wiring and not the radio itself as the radio module only receives one illumination wire, a light blue black stripe one.

if i recall it took a spell of the display flickering the fist time this happened

1 - 9 of 9 Posts