Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I am new to this forum and I have not yet gotten adapted to the search engine for this website. I find lists of performance upgrades but no details on how to do them. I am trying to get a little bit more power out of my engine but am not sure where to start. Any guides of references would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 17 2009, 06:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733084
How much do you want to spend?[/b]
I'm not trying to do everything immediately, just over time. I don't want to replace the engine or transmission. I have put Autolite XP Iridum plugs and new duralast wires on about a month ago. As soon as I have an idea of what kinds of Difficulty-3 mods I can do, I can set a price range. I'd like to make a large quantity of small improvements here and there rather than large improvements if you know how I mean.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
High flow y-pipe, underdrive pulley, transmission cooler, sct xcal tune. K&N panel filter is an option. All except for the xcal are available at shosource.com. The xcal can be had by pm'ing SHOZ123, on here.

All can be installed in the driveway.

These won't make the car fast, but certainly less slow.

Oh yes, make sure all maintenance is up to date. That helps a bunch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ Jun 17 2009, 06:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733090
High flow y-pipe, underdrive pulley, transmission cooler, sct xcal tune. K&N panel filter is an option. All except for the xcal are available at shosource.com. The xcal can be had by pm'ing SHOZ123, on here.

All can be installed in the driveway.

These won't make the car fast, but certainly less slow.

Oh yes, make sure all maintenance is up to date. That helps a bunch.[/b]
I read about the underdrive pulley. I saw it on a list of performance mods but was unsuccessful at finding details on how to perform the upgrade. What is an sct xcal tune? If I purchase the K&N panel filter to replace my FRAM air filter, will it be beneficial(noise wise) to remove the intake silencer? Sorry I am somewhat still a novice to car maintenance. If you could be someone to help me with all of my problems on this site that would be great. It's always easier dealing with one person rather than multiple people. Thanks for any help in advance, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
145 Posts
my advice is not to be bashful and post questions. But of course don't also forget to use that fabulous feature on the bar up top "Search" U.D.P. Is simple. take wheel off 4 lug nuts, take shield off 4 screws, take belt off, take off 4 bolts on U.D.P. put new U.D.P. on and reverse the steps.

If you have the option, do not hesitate to use a compressor and impact, I tried to do it by hand at 110k lets just say those suckers were impossible to take off by hand. i ended up scrapping my arm with minor cuts. It shouldn't take you but 30-45 minutes to switch.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Removing the silencer will just make more noise. No power gains from it. K&N will provide a minimal increase, but it's re-usable. That's its biggest benefit.

SHOZ123 (paul) can tell you more about the tune than I ever could. In short, it flashes a program onto the PCM (computer), and can adjust fuel/spark, a/f ratio, trans shifting, etc. It's worth the ~$400 dollar price.

UDP: See sharky's post. It really is easy on these vulcans.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Ported lower intake manifold.

Ported heads are expensive, but WELL worth it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
It was covered in Here.
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...c=70365&hl=
But since i'm nice, I'll post my post about it.

QUOTE (Mediarocker @ May 23 2009, 06:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727489
1. OBDII Vulcans can be tuned by Paul Nimz. Message SHOZ123 for pricing.

2. Cams available through Morena V6 Racing. http://www.moranav6racing.com/category.html?CategoryID=36
They also have Stroker Kits roller rockers (which are recommended) ported UIM and LIM if you're too scared to do it yourself, and 60 MM tbs.
Warning. Its pricy.

3. Intake mods listed above. UIM/LIM Porting, 60MM TB... 3" CAI (for sound. Stock air box flows as good)

4. Exhaust mods are gonna consist Headers, High Flow cats (Available Here), Full CATBACK or just replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster or magnaflow becuase the stock muffler SUCKS at flow.

5. UDP (underdrive pulleys) Are a good way of freeing up 5-7 More Horses. If your electrical system is under high demand, i'd recommend getting a overdrive pulley for your Alternator and make sure for a fact you do the "Big 3"

If you do all of this.. You are gonna need a tune.

But don't expect a giant horse increase... its not gonna give much.. and a tune wont give you 30HP.. more like 5-10 figuratively.. however driving performance will be noticeable.. it will handle much better than stock.

If you want to make big power you're gonna need to go FI or NOS. Which i wouldn't try it without someone experienced helping you. Matter of fact.. alot of this stuff requires knowledge about inner workings.. and if your car is your DD i wouldn't try it.

I've been putting alot of thought into this.. because I'm actually doing it to my vulcanator, but however. My transmission just didn't want to cooperate. SO i would recommend having an extra transmission ready.[/b]
QUOTE (joelhiers @ Jun 23 2009, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734686
QUOTE (dark_fire @ Jun 23 2009, 07:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734666
1.7:1 roller rockers[/b]
Excuse my stubborness, but what are roller rockers(or rocker arms) and what do they do? I need the low down on them.
[/b][/quote]

A good tidbit about how rockers work is here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm

And I would recommend reading the whole article for good measure.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

Its actually quite well written.

1.7:1 rockers offer different lift depending on your cam. the stock ones in your Vulcan are 1.6:1 which means you'll gain a bit of lift. It would be more noticeable with a performance cam.

A roller rocker is much better than a standard "friction" rocker. Roller rockers reduce the amount of friction and in the end produce less heat and wear less than normal rockers, improving engine efficiency which is what you need to make power. Not much of a gain (negligible), but definitely a plus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts