Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 98 ford taurus used with about 100k miles, it seemed to lurch a little when i put it into drive or reverse but i considered it a cheap used car, i got a SES light so i got it read out, they said it was IMRC stuck open, i ran a can of sea foam through it the code went away, then it came back i had it ran again and it called out the #1 Sylenoid in the transmission, the guy at the hobby shop wasn't completly convinced that was the problem, its pretty rough when i put it into drive and reverse but once i get going its fine, i thought about a tranny flush but thought i would get any recommendations before i jumped aimlessly into random expensive repairs on a cheap car. The parking break light and the O/D light come on and off at times but i don't think that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i would definitely recommend doing something before the problem gets worse. A simple at home flush will never do any harm and you can check for debris in the pan at the same time. Not to mention if it is in fact a solenoid draining the tranny will need to be done to replace it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
My 96 takes a few seconds when shifting from park to drive then it kinda thumps in. My transmission guy said it is a ageing seal inside and the only way to improve it is to take the tranny apart to replace it. I had the fluid and filter changed and it didn't help. He also said that probably one day I will put it in drive and it will fail to engage, when that happens i should call him. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Probably need a rebuilt valve body. This can be done with the tranny in the car and at home if you have the skills and tools.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i second the rebuilt valve body, make sure the casting numbers match up though.
the reason i agree is my o/d light would come on and SES light as well, codes indicated solenoid c under performance or stuck off it turned out to be the retaining clip for the actual o/d valve had broken in half jamming the valve in place, a common problem with these transmissions. i got one on e-bay for cheap and put it in but didn't check the pump shaft and ended up worse than before so make sure to check a few things if you go this way: shaft wear, support bearing, make sure it has the revised o/d retaining clip (thicker so it won't break so easy) and be sure to check out the write up on this repair it's very helpfull

1 - 5 of 5 Posts