Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many many posts about belt squeals but I have read nothing new to help solve the squeal my car is making. I have replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys. I just put a new dayco belt on-the best one they had available hoping that would solve the problem. What could be causing my car to make this LOUD squealing noise? It gets louder when I accelerate and seems to be worse when it is cold outside. I am against using "belt dressing" on the belt-I know the problem is far beyond using some belt dressing. I also dont want to take my car into the shop because if I can figure out what is causing the obnoxious squeal I could more than likely fix it. It is very hard to pin point where the squeal is coming from-my dad has a stethoscope which we still cant hear where the noise is coming from exactly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have read many many posts about belt squeals but I have read nothing new to help solve the squeal my car is making. I have replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys. I just put a new dayco belt on-the best one they had available hoping that would solve the problem. What could be causing my car to make this LOUD squealing noise? It gets louder when I accelerate and seems to be worse when it is cold outside. I am against using "belt dressing" on the belt-I know the problem is far beyond using some belt dressing. I also dont want to take my car into the shop because if I can figure out what is causing the obnoxious squeal I could more than likely fix it. It is very hard to pin point where the squeal is coming from-my dad has a stethoscope which we still cant hear where the noise is coming from exactly.
cam syncro sensor and gear check it man. if it is sqealing that loud and you fixed those other things then it is probably that. also maybe check your alternator pulley

·
Registered
424 Posts
Which engine do you have? 96+ Tauruses used 2 different 3 liter engines.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
If the belt is actually slipping on the pulleys, I would suspect the tensioner assembly itself. I highly suggest changing the entire thing out, not just the pulley on it. If the tensioner is worn it won't put enough force on the belt to stop it from slipping. Just a thought.

You need to start the engine for a few seconds without the belt on, to make sure that the serpentine system is the cause for the noise.

Is it OHV or DOHC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the belt is actually slipping on the pulleys, I would suspect the tensioner assembly itself. I highly suggest changing the entire thing out, not just the pulley on it. If the tensioner is worn it won't put enough force on the belt to stop it from slipping. Just a thought.

You need to start the engine for a few seconds without the belt on, to make sure that the serpentine system is the cause for the noise.

Is it OHV or DOHC?

It is a single overhead cam. I was thinking about replacing the tensioner assembly also-just wanted other opinions before I bought the part.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tauruses don't have a SOHC engine, pushrod or DOHC like mentioned above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, just finished replacing the tensioner assembly and double checked idler and all other pulleys. Also tried running the engine with other pulleys that were bought (which we thought were bad) to see if we got a different outcome-nothing worked. Still cant pin point where the sound is coming from. I know its in the belt because when water is sprayed on the belt, the noise stops. Cant even explain how frustrating this is. Our last resort we can think of is the water pump. Anyone have any suggestions about this? Im going to be a bit more careful before I go and buy this part.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
The waterpump might have a bad bearing, usually you can feel or hear it when you spin it by hand. Like I said previously, you can run the engine with the belt off for a minute or so to help pin point the issue. Be sure to check the A/C compressor as well.

If you spray something on the belt and the noise stops, I don't think that indicates a bearing issue. But I'm not sure. Like people mentioned previously, the Camshaft synchronizer can make chirping sounds. You should be able to pinpoint it over the transmission area or with the belt off of the serpentine system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I forgot to say we have ran the engine with the belt off and everything sounded fine. I guess we can only check the A/C compressor and water pump. Thanks a lot for all the input. This may just be something ill have to deal with. I dont think there is much more to replace on the dang thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
See my post in the Really Good Fix for Squealing Belts thread. A heavy dose of silicon spray seems to be doing the trick for me. Two months (wet and dry) and so far so good. Silicon spray is very toxic to squealing gremlins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts