Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am new to the site and have found a wealth of information on here, so Thank You everyone who takes the time to post it. I have recently been given a 98 Taurus with only 72k on it, it was my grandmothers car and was taken pretty good care of. Recently I was driving down the road and suddenly the car seemed as though it was put in neutral, it will no longer move in forward or reverse. After reading several lengthy posts on here I decided to pull it out. I am a little unsure of what to be looking for, one post thought that their similar problem might of been the pump shaft, another post found a sticky valve. Talking with a transmission shop, the mechanic said that the torque converter is known for going bad on these transmissions. Any suggestions on where to start? I allready have the trans out and on the workbench.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd probably check the pump first, since if it loses pressure or more accurately doesn't pressurize, then nothing will engage.

On the 98 I have, the pump cracked and would only engage when the engine was revved, and then it would slam into gear as soon as the pressure was sufficient.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Since you have it on the bench, pull the torque converter(with a pan for fluid underneath) and look at the splines of the smallest shaft in the center coming out of the trans(that's the pump shaft).

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's also been said that the splines in the TC the pump shaft engages strip out if the shaft is OK.

Not sure, but you may be able to pull the pump shaft out w/o opening the case. If so, stick it the TC and try to rotate it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's also been said that the splines in the TC the pump shaft engages strip out if the shaft is OK.

Not sure, but you may be able to pull the pump shaft out w/o opening the case. If so, stick it the TC and try to rotate it.
The TC splines can strip also. The shaft will not come out from that side-pump side only. If you find damage to either replace them both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update

Thank you for all your suggestions, I pulled the tc off and cant see any signs of damage to the splines, the shaft does not pull out, i gave it quite a tug. i was able to spin the shaft and noted that the drivers side axle shaft spun as well, so i guess the shaft itself did not shear off inside the trans. I also pulled the bottom cover and have no excessive metal on the magnet. I will continue to troubleshoot and get back with any findings, might be a couple of days, i have night shift for the next couple of nights.

thanks
Ron

·
Registered
619 Posts
All but the biggest of the splined shafts will turn, you are interested in the smallest of them, in the center. The bigger one in the middle is the power input from the TC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts