Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while, got starter issues, probably dead, can't seem to get a concrete answer so hopefully someone here can help, did the 97 vulcan starters still have that crappy spade connector on the selenoid of did they finally switch to the eyelet and bolt?

·
Administrator
14,915 Posts
IIRC Gen3's had ring terminals. Regardless if there is a spade connector on the replacement starter it is on a threaded terminal post and can be easily removed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IIRC Gen3's had ring terminals. Regardless if there is a spade connector on the replacement starter it is on a threaded terminal post and can be easily removed.
^+1. Easily converted. New starters usually come with a conversion kit.

Thanks, I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure the 97 switched to eyelet with no spade, I keep seeing they stopped using the spade in 1996, I'm taking care of a sick relative so I'm trying to get this job done as fast as possible for another relative, I heard I only need 13mm 10mm and 8mm socket and wrenches for the job, along with the standard wire cutter heatsource for heatshrink tubing, screwdriver and maybe a breaker bar if there's any trouble, am I correct?

Someone mentioned locking nuts to keep the connections on the selonoid tight, does anyone have the dimensions for the nuts on the selenoid?

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Thanks, I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure the 97 switched to eyelet with no spade, I keep seeing they stopped using the spade in 1996, I'm taking care of a sick relative so I'm trying to get this job done as fast as possible for another relative, I heard I only need 13mm 10mm and 8mm socket and wrenches for the job, along with the standard wire cutter heatsource for heatshrink tubing, screwdriver and maybe a breaker bar if there's any trouble, am I correct?

Someone mentioned locking nuts to keep the connections on the selonoid tight, does anyone have the dimensions for the nuts on the selenoid?
I would put this as in the pic on every electric connections. It is made to keep down corrosion between different materials. Available at Lowes.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
my 97 had the spade terminals.
yes they can be intermittent
what i did was spray contact cleaner on them
and recrimp the female spade tighter with a pliers before putting it back on

bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
soundu
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing