Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through some posts like the link provided, so I'm not the 1st with this issue.....

After replacing the TRS/neutral switch the car will go into neutral at complete stop.

The TRS fixed my power steering, radio, and all that stuff that indicates a bad TRS.

Now, about a month or 3 later the car goes to neutral at complete stop. Shift to neutral/reverse then back to drive and all is good until another complete stop.

check out the link below to the same issue discussed on this forum before.

I don't know if they got it fixed or not, but I promise I'll explain in detail whatever corrects my problem......

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...-transmission-range-sensor-2.html#post1638807

I'm going to return the TRS / neutral safety switch to see if it may have gone bad. I've readjusted it several times but once you adjust it correctly what else is there to do?

I even put the old one back on and got the stuff that made me replace it to begin with.

If anyone remembers what fixed this issue point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

PS Mods you may combine my threads into one if ya want...here is my other one..http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/164494-97-taurus-goes-into-nutral-stop.html

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Alignment points (neutral position):

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think its unlikely the MLPS went bad again. I put two of them on my wifes 99 GT until I found out there is a recall for a wire harness melting to the EGR pipe. One of the 3 wires coming from the switch for the transmission position function was shorted to the EGR pipe. I fixed that and all problems are solved. The data for transmission range was going from OD to MAN2 when the wire would short. I would watch data on this with a scanner before making any expensive decisions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think its unlikely the MLPS went bad again. I put two of them on my wifes 99 GT until I found out there is a recall for a wire harness melting to the EGR pipe. One of the 3 wires coming from the switch for the transmission position function was shorted to the EGR pipe. I fixed that and all problems are solved. The data for transmission range was going from OD to MAN2 when the wire would short. I would watch data on this with a scanner before making any expensive decisions.
None of my cable/wires are anywhere close to the EGR stove pipe. I have used a DMM to check resistance from the Trans. Range Sensor and they are right on the money.

If i don't use OD the car drives fine, just no over-drive and it seems to coast in the lower gear from OD.

I've done google searches and found others with this problem but nobody came back and said Found The Problem, this is what it was...

I bookmarked a couple that had an answer about a piston that can crack and cause this problem?

Man i don't want to replace the tranny.

I would flush it and put in new fluid with some kind of shift additive if i thought it'd help, but the fluid looks clean and if it's a cracked piston that wont fix it.

I also bookmarked a thread about a TSB that requires adding a ground to the TRS ground reference from the ECM. It tells how to test the voltage and says a poor ground reference can cause the voltage to vary by .1 or more volts.

I just don't want to throw money at the wrong thing.

Anybody got a link to a good "theory of operation" on this tranny? What piston are they referring to that cracks? Is there a TSB on that issue.

PS- The threads i found are old and not active for a long time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TSB on AX4N Neutralize at Stop...

I may have found a TSB that describes my symptoms and explains what's happening.

TSB-
TRANSAXLE - AX4N - INTERMITTENT NEUTRAL CONDITION.......
ISSUE:

Some vehicles may experience an intermittent Neutral condition after driving and coming to a stop. This may be caused by the bonded seal on the forward clutch piston intermittently not sealing during the 3-2 downshift.

Here is a link to the TSB.......
TSB 98-3-7 AX4N Intermittent Neutral

I'm gonna go to a tranny shop i think i trust and see what they say. I wont bring up this TSB so as not to influence their thought process.......

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just left a tranny shop that's got a great reputation. I used them in the past, and others have bragged on them as well.

They had three Taurus and a Sable getting tranny work done.

He knew about the piston problem and said it's very common.

9 to 12 hundred dollars if i bring him the tranny, 17-19hundred if i drop off the car.

18 month guarantee on parts and labor if i drop off the car.

I think i could get it done way cheaper, but not better.

I got some thinking to do.......:(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car will be driven without using OD unless it's on the freeway. It shifts perfect and drives fine around town as long as it's not placed in OD.

I'll wait until the tranny starts slipping or shifting bad before i throw any money at the tranny.

It just drives and shifts way too good as long as i avoid OD for me to pay the trans shop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have read through some posts like the link provided, so I'm not the 1st with this issue.....

After replacing the TRS/neutral switch the car will go into neutral at complete stop.

The TRS fixed my power steering, radio, and all that stuff that indicates a bad TRS.

Now, about a month or 3 later the car goes to neutral at complete stop. Shift to neutral/reverse then back to drive and all is good until another complete stop.

check out the link below to the same issue discussed on this forum before.

I don't know if they got it fixed or not, but I promise I'll explain in detail whatever corrects my problem......

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...-transmission-range-sensor-2.html#post1638807

I'm going to return the TRS / neutral safety switch to see if it may have gone bad. I've readjusted it several times but once you adjust it correctly what else is there to do?

I even put the old one back on and got the stuff that made me replace it to begin with.

If anyone remembers what fixed this issue point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

PS Mods you may combine my threads into one if ya want...here is my other one..http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/164494-97-taurus-goes-into-nutral-stop.html
your trouble is a broken spring retainer on the foreword clutch piston in the valve body. the part is 6 bucks from ford and about 8 hrs to repair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts