Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of these cars come with a manual or were they all automatics? also what do you consider a good pricerange for 97 to 99?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
g3 SHOs only came in automatic, and the best price for a g3 SHO would probably be around $8-5K, I think.

Edit: for more clarification

The g3 was the only SHO that came in the v8, which may I add is (i think) one of the smallest v8's around. It needs it's cams welded, so the engine doesnt blow up (or things are thrown. Don't know)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
...except that there has already been at least one case where a pin snapped. Remember, when you pin the cams, you're removing metal. Welding adds metal. I've been going two years now with welded cams, no problems. There are other people with over 20k or more on welded cams, also no problems. Just make sure you take it to a shop that has done it before.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 9 2004, 08:55 PM
WOW nuff said. After going on that site,I think ill buy a NISSAN!!
:rolleyes: Are you trying to be a troll? Look, you can go buy a Nissan, but when it rusts away, and your charging systems keep failing, don't come crying to me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
See ya! :banana:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 9 2004, 09:15 PM
Oh, and just to clarify something for you, it's a 96-99 Ford Taurus SHO. Not a 97-99.
Ya,but I didnt want to get as old as a 96.so my cut off date was 97. Im askin questions because Im thinking of buying another car. Thought Id maybe try a SHO, but with all the problems I read about on v8 show,it sounds like the reliability of those cars just isnt any good.
Are you trying to be a troll? Look, you can go buy a Nissan, but when it rusts away, and your charging systems keep failing, don't come crying to me.
First off what is rust? oh ya,thats something that doesnt affect us where I live. Charging system failures? well I guess thats better than cams that crap out . Not to mention trannie failures. and what else did those people mention? :rolleyes:
Then when they try to get something done about it,ford treats em like red headed stepchildren. Oh,but Im being a troll. Expecting a manufacturer to stand behind their vehicles.Ya know this isnt the first faugh pah from ford. Remember those neat little turbocharged four bangers in the early 80's SHO Mustangs ? What about the computer problems in the 85 T-birds? Now we have self destructing camshafts. But Im being a troll. Whatever dude.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
If you take care of them, snakeeyes, they will last you forever. But if you don't want to have to bother with the maintenence on a vehicle that much, go buy a honda. I've heard those last "forever".

Like I say all the time, every car maker has it's ups and downs. It's not just Ford.

Also, maybe you know this, but the 96 is the same body style as the 97, 98, and 99. If you're looking for a SHO, I would probably suggest to you a g2 (92-95), and if you know how to drive a manual, maybe an MTX more than the ATX.

Or, if you're looking for another car that's not a Ford, try a Dodge Intrepid, they are nice cars. They have the 214-HP option in the first generations.

·
Registered
470 Posts
First off, there is no difference between a 96 and 97 SHO, they are pretty much identical. Second, if your talking a 3rd Gen SHO, your tranny is definitely not a concern, add a Tranny cooler for your own peace of mind. The cam is a problem, but ya fix that with a welding or pinning, and the car is a workhorse that can spank a good amount of cars on the road in the same instant. However if you wanna just drive a car until it dies, get a nissan, but a well maintained SHO will provide you with years of reliable service, with a few turned heads along the way.

And also, Majisto didnt say you were being a troll, he asked if you were being one, cuz your statement sounded like something your typical troll would say, and did not have to be said in that manner.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes+Jun 9 2004, 09:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (snakeeyes @ Jun 9 2004, 09:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@Jun 9 2004, 09:15 PM
Oh, and just to clarify something for you, it's a 96-99 Ford Taurus SHO. Not a 97-99.
Ya,but I didnt want to get as old as a 96.so my cut off date was 97. Im askin questions because Im thinking of buying another car. Thought Id maybe try a SHO, but with all the problems I read about on v8 show,it sounds like the reliability of those cars just isnt any good.
Are you trying to be a troll? Look, you can go buy a Nissan, but when it rusts away, and your charging systems keep failing, don't come crying to me.
First off what is rust? oh ya,thats something that doesnt affect us where I live. Charging system failures? well I guess thats better than cams that crap out . Not to mention trannie failures. and what else did those people mention? :rolleyes:
Then when they try to get something done about it,ford treats em like red headed stepchildren. Oh,but Im being a troll. Expecting a manufacturer to stand behind their vehicles.Ya know this isnt the first faugh pah from ford. Remember those neat little turbocharged four bangers in the early 80's SHO Mustangs ? What about the computer problems in the 85 T-birds? Now we have self destructing camshafts. But Im being a troll. Whatever dude. [/b][/quote]
Yeah... Nissan isn't such a safe choice either buddy. I can refer you to a friend of mine who has other friends and relatives who have Nissan maximas and other models. All of which have had transmission and engine troubles. :lol: My friend sold his first maxima due to it falling apart, literally. Everything started to systematically fail, including the transmission. He sold that one after rebuilding the trans and bought another one, only to have the transmission on the other one go out. :lol: Then lets not forget about the high injector failure rate on those..... Oh yeah, he did have the rust problem too. Someone had installed one of those electronic pulsing whatever crap on the car before he bought it (its supposed to prevent rust) and it still got rusty.. and at the time it still wasn't that old. So then lemme guess, you're gonna get a Honda? :lol: To quote my Honda fanatic friend.... "...the thing about Hondas is they don't leak oil out, they leak internally....*followed by a disappointing chuckle*...." He's had several motors in his CRX, from various Honda cars and all of which have failed. His current "B20" swap seems to be doing ok, but it has drivability issues. :lol: So really, you can't be 100% safe with any manufacturer if you look at it that way. If you really wanna be safe, get yourself a new car and get an extended warranty..... and thats my $0.02

J

·
0 Posts
Let's be nice guys ;)

If you read the positives about the SHO - read this:

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/ultimatetaurus.html

it will probably change your opinion. There are definitely more positives than disadvantages IMHO.

The issue with Ford not backing the SHO's with the cam issues is one VERY LIMITED case and one instance of a problem with Ford customer service. My family and I, personally, have found Ford to be a much more reputable and upstanding company than any other auto maker. This is only the point of view from one family and the times we've delt with Ford (when compared to other auto makers), but it's the truth. You shouldn't let one example change your outlook on an entire company! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You shouldn't let one example change your outlook on an entire company!
It isnt one example . I didnt count for myself,but the failure rate is 300 and counting at v8sho.com. The T-birds with the computer glitch? I got one in the garage. 85s were notorious for that. That little sho mustang? 70,000 miles and the motor melts on EVERY SINGLE ONE. I am having problems with my Duratec not running right as we speak. 44,000 mile 2 year old car shouldnt be having problems. Thats multiple problems just for me.
Yeah... Nissan isn't such a safe choice either buddy. I can refer you to a friend of mine who has other friends and relatives who have Nissan maximas and other models
Ya I got freinds and family that own Nissans and never had a lick of trouble so??No injector problems,tranny problems,rust or anything. And like I said,rust isnt a concern anyway. Besides the NISSAN comment was kinda tounge in cheek,in response to all the bad press the V8 SHOs are getting concerning reliability. Although I wouldnt have any qualms about buying a nissan.
If you take care of them, snakeeyes, they will last you forever.
Thats not what I was reading. Seems that cam can scatter at any given time. And that is a design failure. Has nothing to do with maintenance.
First off, there is no difference between a 96 and 97 SHO, they are pretty much identical.
The only difference is one is 7 years old and one is 8 years old. I didnt want anything older than 7 years old. Thats why I asked about cars between 97 asnd 99.
The issue with Ford not backing the SHO's with the cam issues is one VERY LIMITED case and one instance of a problem with Ford customer service.
But dude,dont you get it? the one" VERY LIMITED case",as you call it, of ford not backing there product is on the product I was thinking of getting.
Snake eyes, if you can't handle maintaining a car, maybe you should get a bicycle.
That cam problem has nothing to do with maintenance. It is a DESIGN failure.
The cam is a problem, but ya fix that with a welding or pinning,
It seems that pinning isnt the answer and is prone to failure, as some at V8sho have found out. And there seems to be questions concerning long term effects of cam warpage when welding. So the "fix" might not be much of a fix after all. any one ran there car for 100,000 miles or so after welding the cam?
If you're looking for a SHO, I would probably suggest to you a g2 (92-95),
Thank you for the kind suggestion, but there are 2 problems. #1 I dont want a car that old( see above) #2 the G2s didnt come with a V8,right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by jason8225@Jun 9 2004, 11:25 PM
Let's be nice guys  ;)

it will probably change your opinion.  There are definitely more positives than disadvantages IMHO.

The issue with Ford not backing the SHO's with the cam issues is one VERY LIMITED case and one instance of a problem with Ford customer service.  My family and I, personally, have found Ford to be a much more reputable and upstanding company than any other auto maker.  This is only the point of view from one family and the times we've delt with Ford (when compared to other auto makers), but it's the truth.  You shouldn't let one example change your outlook on an entire company!  :rolleyes:
I noticed in the article you linked that they claim no cam failures do to the use of a chain instead of a belt. The article was obviosly written before the cam issue came to light. I would like to know how reliable the welding procedure is. Any 100,000 mile welded cam SHO's out there?

P.S. I am NOT trying to start any fights or arguments. Just trying to get some input and thoughts through an informative( to me) discussion on this car.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes+Jun 10 2004, 07:08 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (snakeeyes @ Jun 10 2004, 07:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jason8225@Jun 9 2004, 11:25 PM
Let's be nice guys  ;)

it will probably change your opinion.  There are definitely more positives than disadvantages IMHO.

The issue with Ford not backing the SHO's with the cam issues is one VERY LIMITED case and one instance of a problem with Ford customer service.  My family and I, personally, have found Ford to be a much more reputable and upstanding company than any other auto maker.  This is only the point of view from one family and the times we've delt with Ford (when compared to other auto makers), but it's the truth.  You shouldn't let one example change your outlook on an entire company!  :rolleyes:
I noticed in the article you linked that they claim no cam failures do to the use of a chain instead of a belt. The article was obviosly written before the cam issue came to light. I would like to know how reliable the welding procedure is. Any 100,000 mile welded cam SHO's out there?

P.S. I am NOT trying to start any fights or arguments. Just trying to get some input and thoughts through an informative( to me) discussion on this car. [/b][/quote]
They are saying exactly that - there were no cam failures DUE TO USING A CHAIN - the cam sprocket is what fails AFAIK. There are plenty of 100k mile Gen 3 SHO's out there, welded and unwelded.

The key to these cars in maintenance in case you didn't notice. If you get a Gen 3 SHO that has the cams welded and you properly maintain it, it will provide you with years of reliable service from what I have heard. Obviously I can't say for sure, I don't own one. :)

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by spragers@Jun 9 2004, 06:09 PM
...except that there has already been at least one case where a pin snapped. Remember, when you pin the cams, you're removing metal. Welding adds metal. I've been going two years now with welded cams, no problems. There are other people with over 20k or more on welded cams, also no problems. Just make sure you take it to a shop that has done it before.
I'm not a pro at welding or anything, but I always assumed that welding something melts metal together.. i wasn't aware of any additional metal being added in the case of welding????

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.