Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ford wont rev past 4300 rpms. If the car is in neutral it still does the same thing, if i floor it . It sounds like a 2 step and wont go past 4300 rpms. I dont know if there is a engine light because it dosent light up and i dont know were it is located on the gauge cluster , i am going to have the codes look at by my local auto supply store to see if there is any codes but any suggestions will be great . I dont think it is the tranny the car just wont get to the proper rpm to shift thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
There is a lower RPM rev limiter in neutral than when in gear. If PCM thinks tranny is in neutral due to a failed TRS or harness problem, the engine wont rev past the limit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a lower RPM rev limiter in neutral than when in gear. If PCM thinks tranny is in neutral due to a failed TRS or harness problem, the engine wont rev past the limit.

sorry it wont rev past 3800 what would be the next step for me to solve this issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry it wont rev past 3800 what would be the next step for me to solve this issue
eksilver1,

Hmm, I would check the condition of your catalytic converter. I have heard tale that they enforce some variety of rpm restriction whenever they start to go bad.

I would also advise checking out the cam position sensor, map sensor, maf sensor and even the ecm. Your problem could originate in one of your Taurus's pivotal engine electronics systems.

Finally, how is the condition of your fuel pump? (refer to this Taurus fuel pump diagram for further illumination) Does the car accelerate slowly and/or hesitate upon initial acceleration?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i just got back from the having the car scanned and it had 2 codes egr and 02 sensor

i put the car in 2nd rather then drive and the car drove normal rpm went over 4000 and shifted normal i could floor it and the car accelerated as it should anyone have a clue ???///???????

when car is in drive it shifts hard into all the gears and wont rev past 3800 rpm

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Jeff K nailed your problem, replace the TRS sensor. Think about it, the problem cleared up when you moved the gear lever to a less frequently used portion of the TRS sensor.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I reccomend a NEW sensor, it is located on top of the transmission (Directly under the intake tube) and it looks similar to this....

And from the top....

Most auto stores list this under a Neutral safety switch just F.Y.I. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts