Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i was driving to school this morning and after i pulled away from a stop sign, my car stopped accelerating. the only thing that happens when the accelerator is pressed is the rpm goes up. I put the car in Neutral and it will move backwards, so it can move, also i think reverse worked. my dad is having it towed. when i get home, i will post more info. I think it may be a tranny problem, but I have no experience with cars, so i can only guess.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Sounds like a dead tranny. How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i forgot to mention that. It has ~ 122k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
If reverse works it's probably the transmission if it has the original in it. 120 is probably about the expected life time on a Taurus transmission. The bad news is that replacing the transmission can cost you up to $3500 for parts and labor (that's a Jasper tranny with 3 year / 75K warrenty). The good news is your engine probably has plenty of life left in it if you replace the transmission it will probably last you for another 120K miles, assuming you don't install a junk yard pull. If you replace the tranny, consider installing a secondary tranny cooler. if you have the tranny rebuilt, consider also having a shift kit installed.

-Dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does it go in any of the forward gears (D,2,1) if so it is not the tranny but a shift solenoid internal to the tranny. are you getting any codes? Did the car ever not go into overdrive when driving, was the problem intermittent and then became constant.

Shift solenoids are only about $25 but you still have to open an difficult to get to access port on teh ranny to replace

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got hom and found out that it may be the tranny(my dad talked to our local mechanic, who referred us to some1 else cause he doesn't do transmissions) they said it would be $1400 to $1600. :ripped: :curse: that price is for a rebuilt tranny. he is looking for a cheaper price, since i only have $500 of my own money( i bought this car about 2 months ago) and my parents have limited resources right now.

I think i tried every gear and it would not go forward. i don't know anything about overdrive, so i don't even know if it is on. the service engine light was on, but the ford guys who looked at it about a month ago said: don't worry about it. the light has never been blinking, but has disappeared one day and come back the next. i don't know any codes cause we never went to autozone.

maceslin, if it went forward in Drive, then i probably wouldn't be posting exact thread since i did not go forward when i pressed on the accelerator. I really do hope it is something simple/ won't cost a kidney or 2 to fix. but it sounds like i didn't get so lucky. :crybabysmiley:

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Did the mechanic look at the car, or just quote you a rebuild. Just checking cause I wanted to make sure you checked the blindingly obvious... tranny fluid level. If you are out of tranny fluid the tranny doesn't work (expecially if there is no fluid in the torque converter). But if you haven't seen drak brown fluid leaking under your car, you're probably OK as far as fluid. If no gears work including reverse, it could be the torque converter itself. It sucks when you have a car problem where you can't even drive it to the shop to have it fixed. You feel bad about having to tow it all over creation.

-Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, no mechanic has looked at the car as far as i know, it was towed by the police since it was causing traffic problems on a back road (there's your local police helping you out :p ) yes we did check the tranny fluid level and it was fine. the car went in reverse, just not in any forward gear.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I would guess the first gear planitary or shift solinoid is burned up. I don't think there is any way to make it start in second so I don't think you can check if the other gears work. Maybe if you rolled it down a hill and got it going faster then 30 MPH maybe it would try and shift to second... but that's a pretty dumb way to test. You might want to get a quote from a Jasper dealer too. Check and see if the quoted price for the rebuild you got included all labor on the car, or if it is just parts and labor for the rebuild itself.

-Dan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told by the mechanic who towed it, that the Transmission is dead. We are taking it to a Transmission place and getting it rebuilt for $1500. (that includes labor i think) i'll just have to own this car for awhile to get my money's worth out of it (I paid 3K for it and the tranny is 1500)

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Add a transmission cooler and an in-line filter to it. Ask your mechanic about installation since you are a self-confessed non-car person. May run you an extra $200 to have it installed (the cooler is only $50, the filter might be $15 and labor will cover the rest), but your car will likely explode before you need another rebuild. Cheap insurance, believe me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh those Bulls! My 94 GL wagon 130k, blew reverse today! Must be a Bull day! well taken care of, inspected two days ago, zero leaks, "but shuddering vibration at 47 mph" in the last two months...so we replaced motor mounts, still a minor vibration. Not the inner CV joint...long story short I'm facing adding a new tranny.

Hot tip: UHaul will rent you a truck/dolly and save on big flatbed tow truck bills. Great guys. I'm stuck 250miles fr home and they took car of me.
thanks for all the Bull tips, guess I'm gonna save this car and gamble on a 12 month warranty, new tranny...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts