Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 97 Taurus for my son and the guy I bought it from lost the trunk key. I can still get into the trunk with the release button but would like to have a key for this lock. I went to a local bone yard but found that the locks are plentiful there but most cars do not have the keys. Is it more cost effective to take this lock to a locksmith or buy another lock somewhere? (a new lock from Ford is rather expensive ~ $100)

Also, how can I tell if this care is set up for keyless entry? I see that these remotes are available to purchase online but need to determine if this car is set up for keyless or not. It does have power locks and I can lock or unlock all locks with one turn of the key in either of the front door locks. Is there a way to tell if this car is set up for keyless?

thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Japper. The Gen 3 Taurus trunk lock is known for locking up with age and lack of use. Check under the Topic Finder link at the top on how to free it up. You can start out by trying some graphite and/or WD-40 squirted into the lock while working the key. If it still won't work, you'll want to purchase a new lock from a place like RockAuto.com then have a locksmith come out and key it. The 96+ Taurus has the same key for the trunk, ignition and doors.

Testing for remote keyless: All doors must be Closed. Insert key in ignition and QUICKLY (not more than 1 second between positions) move from OFF To RUN (not START) 5 times (for 1996 and 1997 models) or 8 times (1998 to 2007 models). Ending in RUN. If the doors lock and then unlock then you have keyless entry.

Within 20 seconds, press any button on an transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each transmitter has been programmed. Repeat this step for each transmitter.

NOTE: If the door locks do not respond for any transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the keyless check tip Nick...

regarding the lock, the problem is not that it is frozen, I just do not have a key for it...

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
so you dont have a key for the ignition? because it should be the same key.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
thanks for the keyless check tip Nick...

regarding the lock, the problem is not that it is frozen, I just do not have a key for it...
The same key is used in all lock cylinders on a 96+ model Taurus...trunk, glove box, ignition, doors, etc. :)

It may seem your trunk lock needs another key...it's really that the lock cylinder is frozen up (not from temp, but lack of use).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know the trunk & ignition use the same key, so you are probably right about the lock being frozen.. I will have to check that link that you sent me

regarding the keyless entry, would a remote for a 2001 focus work on the 97 Taurus?

thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
I didn't know the trunk & ignition use the same key, so you are probably right about the lock being frozen.. I will have to check that link that you sent me

regarding the keyless entry, would a remote for a 2001 focus work on the 97 Taurus?

thanks

that is unless some one swaped it out for another cars before you bought it and gave the wrong lock cylinder like on my car lol'z you probly got my lock and i got your lol'z j/k

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts