Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a few posts on here about similar problem but nothing the same. I got 97 Taurus GL automatic from a friend that said the trans is bad. I drove it today and the tranny shifts into 1st and

reverse fine but when you get up to about 15-20 mph and take your foot off the throttle its like it shifts into neutral and just revs till you get back down to about 10mph and does the same

thing in reverse. If you have it in 1st rather than drive it will stay in gear all the way up to 40 mph until you shift to drive then is drops to "neutral" again. It hasnt thrown any codes unless the

engine light doesnt work. I was wondering if this is a tcc problem.

·
Registered
211 Posts
QUOTE (peterpumkin @ Jun 6 2010, 10:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809978
Read a few posts on here about similar problem but nothing the same. I got 97 Taurus GL automatic from a friend that said the trans is bad. I drove it today and the tranny shifts into 1st and

reverse fine but when you get up to about 15-20 mph and take your foot off the throttle its like it shifts into neutral and just revs till you get back down to about 10mph and does the same

thing in reverse. If you have it in 1st rather than drive it will stay in gear all the way up to 40 mph until you shift to drive then is drops to "neutral" again. It hasnt thrown any codes unless the

engine light doesnt work. I was wondering if this is a tcc problem.[/b]
Hows the condition of the fluid? if the fluid is more brown ish then it could be the forward clutch wearing out.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What you have there is the classic AX4S transmission failure.

Either have it rebuilt, or look for one that has already been rebuilt. A good rule of thumb for those transmssions is 100K-110K mile service life for an original AX4S.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's possible that you have a shift solenoid problem. Take it to a shop for a free diagnosis. If the fluid is red , clean and up to the right level, it may be able to be repaired in the vehicle.

Good luck, Popeye

1 - 5 of 5 Posts