Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 ford taurus' headlights don't shut off. I think it could be the DRL module problem. I guess it was burned and gives the headlights a "stay on" signal. So right now I need to disconnect the battery to avoid to drain it.

Is there any way to disable this DRL module by myself? I tried all the related fuses and can't solve the problem.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And my friend told me that since 2008 there is no federal law to mandate the use of this DRL . So can I just take it to the dealer and let them disable it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
There is a mini-fuse that you can simply remove in the underhood power distribution box. I can't remember which fuse it is but it should be marked on the cover. Removing the fuse will disable the DRL module. The module should be located under the front fender, below the battery tray. You will need to remove the front half of the driver's side inner fender splash shield.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
There is a law in the works.. but I wouldn't hold my breath. Everything is being stalled on capital hill. Believe it or not, The Europeans did a study of a course of a couple of years and decided to mandate it because vehicles that drove with their lights on either by DRL or manually were in far fewer accidents. Once the law was instated (with much opposition) they noticed that traffic fatalities actually dropped. I cant say a figure because I've forgot, but if I find the article I'll gladly post it up.

The amount of accidents involving "I didn't see them" dropped like a rock.

They did a similar study in the US and found that vehicles that drive with their lights on are seen up to a mile away further than off. 1/2 Mile for parking lights only. I noticed when I drove with my lights on, people didnt pull out in front of me as much, and people in the other lane snapped their attention to me. (of course there were the stupids that didn't pay attention at all....) But in all I noticed a positive result.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a mini-fuse that you can simply remove in the underhood power distribution box. I can't remember which fuse it is but it should be marked on the cover. Removing the fuse will disable the DRL module. The module should be located under the front fender, below the battery tray. You will need to remove the front half of the driver's side inner fender splash shield.

Good luck, Popeye
I have the same problemo. My 97 headlights will not turn off. I looked in the fuse box in the passenger compartment per my interpretation of what I read yesterday. I will now call my wife and ask her to look under the hood-or I will when I get home to check back to power distribution box under hood. There should be an appropriate 15 amp fuse that powers the drl module. I looked at the module in a service bullitin. All other circuts are incidental so nothing else will be effected.

What does the information on the fuse box under the hood say? Does it say drl module?

C/

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a follow up on the minifuse. My headlight problem was completely solved by pulling the mini 15 amp fuse to the day time running light module. The fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. It is a small blue one. The fuse protects the module. Apparently failure mode for the module is ground short, which then causes the headlights to stay on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts