Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 Taurus GL Wagon: Power Steering Pump Screech

Blew a hole in my coolant bypass hose near the water pump and replaced it with an "old" one from the parts I kept off the "donor" car from the panel replacement project a few months ago. At the same time, and I don't see how the two could be related, the Power Steering Pump has started screeching loudly. I'm assuming it's the P/S pump making the noise because whenever I spray water mist on the face of the P/S pump pulley, the noise goes completely away.
Questions:
1.) Turns out I also have a "donor" P/S pump. How do I know if this pump is any good? About all I can do is turn the shaft and pull in and out on it. Seems to be pretty tight. Also, this "donor" has been sitting around in a dry bucket with it's connection points uncovered. This wouldn't be a problem, would it?
2.) How do I get the pulley off and on? The shop manual shows "special tools", as does the Haynes manual. Can I use a 3-jaw puller to get it off and some makeshift "tool" to press it back on? Or does Harbor Freight sell these tools?
3.) Can I drive it like this until the weekend (4 days, 25 miles back and forth to work)? It's dicey, right? If it seizes up, I'm in big trouble. Four day weekend and this thing has to fail on the last day!!!

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Call off the search!

I'm thinking it's just the coolant that probably sprayed onto the belt when the "H" hose failed.

But is the serp belt history because of this? It's only a 2.5 year old belt with 35,000 miles on it! The factory belt lasted 150,000 miles!

Will spraying water on the belt eventually clean it off and eliminate the screeching, or am I going to have to replace the belt?

Seems silly that such a little bit of coolant can destroy the serp belt. The "H" hose suffered a pinhole leak at the water pump "elbow" that shot a stream of coolant toward the firewall. This happened about 60 seconds from my driveway. Not a lot of coolant here....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts