Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. This is my first post so if this has been asked and answered I apologize in advance.

My girlfriend's Taurus is giving me headaches. This has been an ongoing problem for days and as soon as I think I've got it fixed it happens again.

It sat for about a week while I was waiting for some parts and it wouldn't start (I know, my fault for letting it sit without starting it). Jumped it off, charged the battery, and it ran fine all week (no starting issues). She was having some hard/no starts the last couple days, so I charged up the battery and had the battery, alternator, and starter tested at the parts store. Battery was fine, starter was fine, but the alternator was putting out 13.6 or so volts and 63 or so amps. I put an alternator in it yesterday. No issues for four or five starts, then last night another no start. After it sat for a few hours, no problem starting it, and no problems starting it until a few hours ago.

I turned the key, it turned over once or twice really slowly, and nothing. Tried jumping it off and it just clicked. Let it sit a few hours and nothing. Checked the trigger wire and nothing. Tried crossing the starter terminals to get it started and nothing. Put a new battery in, slow turn, nothing. BUT that is when I noticed the battery was still hot after it had been sitting for a few hours. It might be worth mentioning that the AC didn't kick on until the car was at temp after the alternator change as well. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, but I'm crossing T's and dotting I's. All this time I'm getting no CELs either (in case that matters).

I did a few searches and came across a post for the TR sensor, however I am not getting any of the described symptoms (radio works fine in all tranny positions, windows work, etc, etc). Next thing that came to mind was the neutral safety switch, but if memory serves from my old Tempo the reverse lights didn't work either, which they do on her Taurus.

No short of putting in a new starter I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it just to try something I couldn't think of.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Assuming the starter was tested correctly, this sounds like terminal corrosion somewhere. Take the battery terminals off and clean them and inspect the wiring strands near the crimp for breakage. Also examine the starter connections, if the starter has the blade stype solenoid connector it should be replaced with a bolted connector. Also oil leaks from the pan gasket will cause all sorts of starter problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts