Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, sorry if this has came up in the threads before. but i ran into a few problems with my bull :( first gear started slipping. as soon as it did i serviced my transmission. replaced the filter cleaned the pan and the magnet and also filled her back up with the specified fluid.

and still the transmission is slipping in first. every other gear after that is fine. sometimes if i shift it manually from first to drive or overdrive after the car starts rolling it will then change gears. but if im on a hill, thats bad news for anyone sitting behind me.

so the question is, whats causing it to slip in first and not the other gears? and what could i do that would solve this problem. i dont really have the funds to get it rebuild or buy a new one so im wondering if maybe there is something i can do at home to get a lil bit more out of her and stop the stupid slipping.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If everything checks out, put some trans tune or anti-slip "cure in a bottle" crap in there and drive it 'till it dies. Not much you can do at this point if it is indeed an internal problem.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ Agreed on an internal trans problem. Possibly the forward clutch piston seal is going or the piston itself is starting to crack. Both relatively common problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Well that sucks. I did what you suggested and put some in. When the car is cold it runs fine. First gear doesnt slip one bit. But once I drive it for awhile is when it starts. How hard are those parts to replace? Or would my best bet to be look for a new trans?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Might check/replace vss (vehicle speed sensor). Other than a funky speedo, a slipping 1-2 shift when warmed up is a classic symptom of a failing vss. Cheap to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i was about to update on the matter actually. when the car is cold and hasnt been running for at least 8 hours it runs great. shifts great, and doesnt slip at all. you cant even tell there was a problem with the transmission in the first place. but after i drive it for awhile and the fluid warms up and the car gets to a normal operating temp, it starts to slip again.

so after reading that if your still saying its the sensor then thats whats up :) what car parts places carry parts like this. and what all would i have to do to replace it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its gettin annoying. somedays i can start the car right up and put it in drive and im gone. no slipping or anything. than other days i start it up and it slips like crazy.

im thinkin, would buying a used transmission be a better solution? as i am tight on money and just need the car to drive for the time being.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha. very good example for a comparison. :) well tell me what you guys think about this... gutting the tranny, and getting a rebuild kit. and replacing all the parts within the shell of the transmission? you can get rebuild kits for about 500 bucks (a good one neways) and then plus labor your looking at like 200-300 depending on the person...

which comes close to about the same of going to a shop and or a dealership to get it fixed. so tell me what you think... and again... good example. makes sense now, cause my xbox did that hahah

·
Banned
323 Posts
If I had to replace my transmission, I would go with a Jasper rebuilt. They have an excellent reputation and a nationwide network. I've used Jasper engines before, and never had a problem with them. My 2 cents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts