Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have 160k on my old girl, and yesterday I noticed that at a light, There would be little "bumps" and "dips" in the RPMs.

Today when we took her out, I noticed the engine seemed to shudder. and the "check engine light" came on.

I popped the hood, and the oil looks clean and not corrupted with air or water.

Money is a real tight issue right now. I have some mechanical skill, but I'm really not sure what to look for next.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, what i would is let it idel and go back and listen at the exhaust. that would tell you if there is a miss fire and also the safest way to check. unless you have the spark light if you do than try it that way. cause to me it sound like u have a miss fire.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I've had a very similar problem with my 2002 with the larger 24OHV...dips, skips, and stammers at stop lights especially with the AC running. There is a slight drop on the tach, but it never stalls. Sometimes downshifting on the highway is hesitant.

The check engine light would come on, but would go off before I could have the mechanic read the codes. No codes were stored, so the mechanic termed them "soft codes." He did a complete tuneup with new Ford plug wires. It still skipped.

Last week I caught the check engine light on and quickly got it to the mechanic. With the light on, there were no codes, then it said the #3 cylinder, then the #4 cylinder, then ALL of the cylinders. The mechanic suggested replacing the electronic module (takes the place of the distributor) where the plug wires come from.

Hope this solves the problem. To change the spark plugs during the tuneup, it was labor intensive to access the rear three because the top part of the engine had to be removed. It will now have to be removed again to replace the module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, I forgot the name for the coil pack.

I kind of hinted that I'd hate to pay for all that labor, if the coil pack wasn't the problem. He's confident it will be as all the other parts are new. He will be ordering the part from Ford.

The mechanic is not from a Ford dealer, so can the coil pack be checked by an independent mechanic and how is that basically done?

·
Registered
9 Posts
whoops, you got me there-- couldn't tell you.

Can testing be done while it's on car through the plug wires themselves or must the coil pack be removed for testing?

and

If the problem is not the coil pack (or coil on plug,) then what would the next item be that should be checked?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
You have a coil pack on the 02 tec. You can run primary and secondary resistance tests on the coil if you have an ohmmeter and a chiltons or haynes manual with the instrs. and specs. Or, pull the coil and run it to autozone and they will test it for free. Beware, even if the coil tests in spec., it can still miss under load. Not a definitive test. In other words, if coil tests bad, its bad. If tests good, it can still miss under load.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
yes it can be tested on the car. Well in some ways. You need a dmm
coil pack test.

Disconnect the electrical connector from the coil. Connect an ohmmeter across the coil positive terminal and each negative terminal. The resistance should be as stated above.
Note: Each coil pack is paired according to the campanion cylinders. Be sure to check resistance with these designated terminals only. If i remember correctly the Ohms should be.
Primary resistance 0.3 - 1.0 ohms
Secondary resistance 6.5 - 11.5 kohms.
Connect an ohmmeter between the secondary terminals (the one that the spark plug wires connect to) of each coil pack. The resistance should be as stated above.

coil over plug
Primary resistance should be 0.55 ohms and the secondary resistance should be 5,500 ohms. To test it disconnect the electrical connector from the coil assembly and connect an ohmmeter across the primary (+) terminal and the negative terminal. The resistance should be as listed above. Then remove the COP from the engine. Connect an ohmmeter between the secondary terminals (the one that fits over the spark plug). The resistance shouls be as stated above.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
You have a coil pack on the 02 tec. You can run primary and secondary resistance tests on the coil if you have an ohmmeter and a chiltons or haynes manual with the instrs. and specs. Or, pull the coil and run it to autozone and they will do it for free. Beware, even if the coil tests in spec., it can still miss under load.
lol. I got to type faster.
yes it can still be faulty.an oscilloscope is need to check for signal decay

·
Registered
9 Posts

What great people you senior members are! A previous time I also received precise advice on this forum.

I'm gonna make a copy of both sets of your instructions. The car goes in on Columbus Day. I'll keep ya posted. I also hope the guy with the '97 Taurus, who started this thread, can use your info, as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
02 DOHC is coil pack. Only 00 and 04, 05 Tec are COP.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
turns out it was an ignition timing thing after all, #3 cylinder wasn't firing right.

new plugs, running fine.

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
9 Posts

New Ford coil pack was installed today. Taurus is idling smoothly even with the AC running. No hesitation or stumbling when downshifting while accelerating.

$178 for the coil pack and $150 in labor to remove and replace the plenum. Can't wait to stomp on it tomorrow morning on the highway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts