Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for all your help in the past. Now I would like some help on how to install front pads pics would help but can I do this in my garage I have some tools

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have installed motor mounts thanks to all of you guys myself and a bad sensor all by myself thanks to all you guys.Now the little rock in my pads are telling me its time for new ones squeek

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
I wouldn't recommend paying someone. Just unbolt calipers, use a "C" clamp to push back piston, put on pads and bolt back on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
There are numerous good pads, i would recommend a high quality ceramic so that you do not have that horrible black dust , especially if you have rims or stock alloys.

Hawk, EBC, Satisfied or Motorcraft

Installation is pretty easy, once the wheel is off you just have 2 bolts to remove and the caliper comes off.

-A big c clamp will push the caliper back inside

-Remember to suck the brake fluid out with a turkey baster as you push the piston back or else be prepared for the spill where ever you do the brake job at .

- once you have the piston pushed back in the new pads simply sit in place and install the caliper back with the 2 bolts

- remember to grab some brake grease and install on the back side of the pad only where the piston hits the pad area.

Its a pretty easy job and fairly hard to screw up.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Hardest part is removing the wheels lol! Get a haynes or chiltons manual at almost any auto parts store. Easy peasy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys for all the advice, but I work 44 hours mon-thurs and 3x24 hrs fri-mon I just paid les Schwab to do it for me. Let me tell you for 231.00 dollars I got new calips,pads,hardware,new brake fluid,and my rotors re-surfaced. From coming of the freeway my whole stering collom shook. they had to re-surface one of my rotors three times to fix it. braking is smooth now sorry just did not have the time!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
thanks guys for all the advice, but I work 44 hours mon-thurs and 3x24 hrs fri-mon I just paid les Schwab to do it for me. Let me tell you for 231.00 dollars I got new calips,pads,hardware,new brake fluid,and my rotors re-surfaced. From coming of the freeway my whole stering collom shook. they had to re-surface one of my rotors three times to fix it. braking is smooth now sorry just did not have the time!!!
That sounds like a fair price if they did everything you said.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts

Sounds good..but be careful, sometimes they can take too much off the rotors, espcially if you said they had to do one of them 3 times. I understand you are busy but you might want to get a couple of new rotors, for later, just sayin'.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sounds good..but be careful, sometimes they can take too much off the rotors, espcially if you said they had to do one of them 3 times. I understand you are busy but you might want to get a couple of new rotors, for later, just sayin'.

As well as the cheap rotors they likely installed the cheapest pads available, which means the rotors will likely warp again very quickly

I suspect you will be down there replacing with a new set of rotors and pads in due time, but hopefully by then you can do it yourself and buy quality parts. At least if that happens you only need pads/rotors and not new calipers and lines, plus you can get a good OE set of rotors and ceramic pads to go with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, thanks for the advice! The guy told me that the pads they were putting on were from nascar, probably a sales pitch : ) . But one of the guys there is looking into rear disc conversion, is this posible??? I have only six months left on the back drum pads. If the rotors warp soon I will just have them reserface them for free, the rotors I have on right now are still really thick!!!! Has anyone done the rear disc conversion why and what are the pros and cons of doing this??? thanks a million : /

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Hey, thanks for the advice! The guy told me that the pads they were putting on were from nascar, probably a sales pitch : ) . But one of the guys there is looking into rear disc conversion, is this posible??? I have only six months left on the back drum pads. If the rotors warp soon I will just have them reserface them for free, the rotors I have on right now are still really thick!!!! Has anyone done the rear disc conversion why and what are the pros and cons of doing this??? thanks a million : /
it can be done as several have done it. We do offer the basic junkyard parts you can not get at the store: Rear Disc Converstion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts