Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'97 Tarus Wagon GL 193.5k: Tranny Fluid Transfusion

I did the tranny fluid transfusion this past weekend for (only) the 2nd time since buying the car new. First one was at 97k (I know ... too long between them). Anyway, I used the Ford manual procedure, but I left the car on the ramps the whole time - which probably meant I got a little less fluid out than I could have. I got a little more than 2 Qts pumped out via the tranny return line, a little more than 2 Qts out of the pan, and then another 6.5 Qts out the return line after pouring in 10 fresh Qts of fluid.

So that went well enough.

But what DIDN'T go very well was pulling the tranny return line! I had a HELL OF A TIME with it! My Taurus has the 3/8" line with the plastic tabs that you just pinch, then you pull out the line. No matter how hard I pinched those tabs, I could NOT get the line to pop out! I remember having this problem the first time around (in 2003), but ultimately it popped out cleanly. This time I had to resort to trying several tools with no success (being careful not to damage the plastic tabs). Finally (and I don't remember which tool I was using at the time), the whole thing came out ... the line with the plastic insert still on it!

I didn't remember this happening the first time and my initial thought was the line would leak upon re-install.

Anyway, upon re-install, I could now not get the line to go back in far enough. By the looks of the upper line, the outer "collar" needed to be very close to the plastic tabs (1/8" or so, and I was still about 1/4" off). I tried it several times with the plastic piece still on the line, but I couldn't seem to get enough push on the pipe to get it to pop back in. So then I pulled the plastic piece off and inserted it into the tranny (where it rotated well enough but would never seem to sit "level" in the hole). Still I couldn't get the pipe in. Next I tried spinning the plastic insert to several different locations "on the clock", figuring there might be a certain position it needed to be in. Again, no dice. Finally, after SEVERAL attempts, I looked down and it appeared that the line was in deep enough (where the outer pipe "collar" lined up with the line above). It was dark at this point and I was pretty tired, so I buttoned everything back up and parked the car for the week. I haven't checked for leaks or low fluid yet, but I didn't see anything on the ground after the 25' drive back to the parking spot. I'll check everything again this weekend when it will be driven next, but I'm concerned that the plastic insert will cause a problem.

Questions:

1.) Is there a certain technique to pulling these 3/8" tranny lines with the plastic inserts? Did I cause myself more grief than I should have?

2.) Do these plastic inserts just get harder and harder to release over time? The pinch tabs never cracked and seemed to be flexible enough, but no matter how hard I pinched them (by hand or tool), they just wouldn't release the line for some reason.

3.) If it turns out the line starts leaking at the transmision, it will be due to the plastic insert (because, like I said - it never seemed to sit "flush" in the tranny hole ... maybe it got slightly distorted when it came out still attached to the line). Can these inserts be purchase off the shelf, or are they dealer items ... and do I put it back on the line and insert, or does it go into the tranny first, THEN insert the line (or does it matter)?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts