Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 SHO, 144,xxx miles. Developed a tick in the motor about a week ago. Speeds up with throttle. It sounds as if its coming from the front passenger side, under the intake, around a fuel injector. The previous owner had the cams welded by Eric Lehman but says one of the cams wasn't guaranteed because it was "1 key turn from failure" when the cams were done.

I've heard anything from cam, cam position sensor, chain tensioner..... Just like to know where to really start. This car is a daily driver for an 18yr old girl who uses it for work and school, so I don't have the luxury of tearing it down to find the issue quickly. I know it is impossible to diagnose on a forum. Just wondering if this may be a common issue and something I can maybe take care of in an afternoon.

Little more info: It doesn't miss, runs great otherwise. At times, this was before the tick, at idle, it will rock back and forth. It will idle smooth but the car will rock as if the crank is unbalanced, or it has loose mounts or something. We are just kind of paranoid now because of the known cam issues and the fact that one of them couldn't be guaranteed. Any help/insight/info much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The chain tensioners will rattle at cold starts but will go away when the engine heats up. The alternator is on the lower passenger side by the firewall, and is known to have bearing failures because of exhaust heat, but those typically sound like a squeal and not a tick. It could be a cam that is slipping on the gear.

I'd pull the bank 2 valve cover off just for the heck of it and see how the welds look. Eric Lehmann is (or at least was) on here, and if you give him the VIN he can look the car up - he keeps a database of all the cars he has welded. He's Zenriddles on here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts