Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 SHO that keeps stalling on me. It seems to do it more when it is hot out. It also at time does not want to go when I give it gas. It will jsut sit there and then it will catch and take off and continue to do this till I restart the car. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
That happened to me years ago, and it was a bad A/C clutch/pulley. (That's why it happens more when it's hot.)

It could be other things too, but I'd take off the belt and turn each pulley, all of them except the engine should turn easily, and should have no wobble or play.

Note that if the A/C is bad, you could turn the pulley and it'll still be fine - because the clutch is not engaged. But then leaving the A/C off will help you figure that out. In my case the pulley itself was bad, and it didn't really matter if the A/C was on or off - but it was worse with the A/C on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE (astc @ May 24 2009, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727679
That happened to me years ago, and it was a bad A/C clutch/pulley. (That's why it happens more when it's hot.)

It could be other things too, but I'd take off the belt and turn each pulley, all of them except the engine should turn easily, and should have no wobble or play.

Note that if the A/C is bad, you could turn the pulley and it'll still be fine - because the clutch is not engaged. But then leaving the A/C off will help you figure that out. In my case the pulley itself was bad, and it didn't really matter if the A/C was on or off - but it was worse with the A/C on.[/b]
i had a dodge that did the same thing, when it got to operating temp., it would stall out, let it cool and would fire right up....it was the I.A.C. selinoid..was built up with carbon, took it out sprayed the piston off with carb cleaner and ran fine at oper. temp no stall at all.....

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
QUOTE (oleo @ May 24 2009, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727674
I have a 97 SHO that keeps stalling on me. It seems to do it more when it is hot out. It also at time does not want to go when I give it gas. It will jsut sit there and then it will catch and take off and continue to do this till I restart the car. Does anyone have any ideas?[/b]
When is the last time you cleaned the intake - i.e. the secondaries and EGR passage in the surge tank?

There is also a possibility of a dirty MAF or a misbehaving IAC, but the IAC is usually not responsible to the throotle body, so when you tap the gas, it is over ridden.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts