Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 SHO and it used to only die when i was at a stop light. I would start it back up by kicking it into neutral and it would run like crap. Only when i put it in park shut the key off and then restarted it would it run fine. It is not throwing any codes. Now it's doing it when i'm driving and today on a 30 mile drive it did it 6 times. It's pissing me off and i'm looking to get rid of it unless i can figure it out. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it. thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
whats the maintenance history of the car? the intakes are knows for really collecting build up and also the coil packs on the back side of the engine get overheated and can cause drivability problems after time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Question 1: is it welded?
Question 2: how does it die.. it just turns off, or does it stumble and die?
Question 3: does it only die when driving, or does it die also when you start it up at times or when you are sitting idle for a bit?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rotated the coil packs and cleaned the intake a few months ago.

not sure if it's welded or not. when it dies it runs crappy for a little bit then dies. It will do it idling, driving, and stopped at lights.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Swap 7 and 8 coilpacks and see if it persists. That's a known issue with number 8.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't know about known.. I mean only a couple people have said that was an issue, but it's worth a look.

You might want to look at see if any codes are being thrown. Just because the light is not on, that does not mean there are pending codes. A lot of the misfire codes are pended and then go away after you shut the car off, in my experience anyway.

Also, how good is your fuel pump?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The ses light is on for a different issue but i'll check that out tomorrow. The fuel pump is good as far as i know i can sometimes go days without it dying.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Did you check all of your spark plugs? And are the gapped correctly too?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'd call it known. Hard to diagnose because it rarely gives a code. It's easy to swap the coils as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd call it known. Hard to diagnose because it rarely gives a code. It's easy to swap the coils as well.
Well, if what you are talking about then, then changing the COP on #8 wouldn't help and it was resistance in the wire or something to that extent causing it to miss not the plug or COP.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if only one plug was misfiring it wouldn't cause my engine to die. When it does it and i keep it running by giving it gas it sounds like its hitting on 4 or 6 cyl.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Any weird sounds coming from the engine?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
It COULD be a MAF issue, have you cleaned it lately?

More than likely it is a rear wiring harness insulation issue. Pull the surge tank and check the rear wires carefully where they leave the main loom for coils # 1, 2 and 3.
4 is not so much a common problem.
You will probably find the black plastic insulation on one of those 1,2 or3 wire stubs is bad and infrequently shorting to the valve cover.

Coils CAN do this as well, 1996 and 1997 SHO computers are dumb as a box of rocks and can take weeks to throw a code if at all, but they just suck, they don't shut the car down.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I cleaned my maf sensor as soon as the problem started because that's what i thought at first too. I just ordered all eight coils so as soon as i change them i'll check out all the wiring harness and make sure everything is still good, but i did check them when i changed the plugs a couple of months ago. Thanks everyone for your input you have talked me into fixing and keeping the sho.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
you have talked me into fixing and keeping the sho.
right answer......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts