Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 SHO, it has the 3rd cat and resonator delete with flowmaster original 40 series mufflers. It sounded pretty good with that setup untill i put a catless hiflo y pipe on. Then I got this ungodly ammout of rasp, sounds like a tin can with some mean rumble mixed in. I was goin for a nice hollow rumble that I did get, just didnt expect the rasp with it. Any ideas on what might get rid of it. I was going to put the old resonator back on to see what happens, just not sure if that will do it

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Flowmasters are really poor at absorbing sounds in the rasp zone. Going with a catless setup sure didn't help your flow (in theory it would if you go with a freer flowing muffler), because you can't flow better than your mufflers, and the Flowmasters do not flow freely, contrary to the manufacturers claims. They are all about sound. Your sound is basically right, it sounds like a tine can because thats basically what a Flowmaster is.

I would recommend going with a straight through muffler that is designed at absorbing rasp sounds. I have used several WickedFlow Max mufflers to resolve rasp and drone on cars with high performance exhaust systems. They are affordable, and more effective than you would think. This was discovered some time ago quite by accident. When they first came out, I just assumed they were a low cost alternative to a Magnaflow, but from the first one that was installed, it became apparent, they do not sound like Magnaflows. They have a much smooth sound, less buzzy or raspy, especially in extreme circumstances. I actually just put one on my mostly Stock Focus ZX3 to resolve the raspy sound of the stock muffler. This muffler gets loud when I get on it, but under normal driving, its actually quieter than stock. My Focus still has the stock resonator and cats. Not bad for a straight though muffler with not restrictions of any kind.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
I'm running a set of Pypes axle backs on my Mustang. Had Magnaflows, not enough mean V8 sound. The Pypes are a oval muffler, but you can see straight through them like the Magnaflows but no fiberglass like the Magna.
Stock cats are up on the exhaust manifolds, factory H pipe. I think the cats absorb some of the high freq. sounds, I've run it without muffs just to see what it sounds like.
Sound isn't too loud at cruise speeds, you can hear it a lot more than stock but they are not annoying like the Flows or the other shorty straight through little round resonator like muffs out there. No real loud drone but any louder exhaust will have some noise.
Surf some exhaust sites for sound clips, check the Mustang sites for feedback also.
The rasp description reminds me of the old cherry bomb days, I never ran them because of the sound they have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts