Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 Sable GS wagon has the disc brakes in back, but while doing a 4 wheel brake job I discovered a potential problem. The Chilton's manual says the minimum rotor thickness is 0.500" but my rotors were 0.433" before machining and 0.417" after. The rotors had not been machined before. Does anyone have the correct specs from the Ford manual?
:glare:

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
My '97 Sable GS wagon has the disc brakes in back, but while doing a 4 wheel brake job I discovered a potential problem. The Chilton's manual says the minimum rotor thickness is 0.500" but my rotors were 0.433" before machining and 0.417" after. The rotors had not been machined before. Does anyone have the correct specs from the Ford manual?
[/b]

The minimum allowable thickness is usually cast into the backside of the rotor.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

The minimum allowable thickness is usually cast into the backside of the rotor.
[/b][/quote]

I did try that first, but nothing visible on either side. I'll try to clean deeper but still would like confirmation from the book.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news. Went to the Ford dealer and checked a new rotor - 0.550". Min thickness is stamped as 12.8mm (0.504"). So the old rotors are way below spec. Mystery is they hadn't been machined so it looks like some cheap off-brand replacement. A lesson learned. :glare:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
.500" is the min spec. They probably were above spec when new, but worn out that thin over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts