Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phase Alpha: The floor shift.

Had to cut up the carpet to find the hole in the firewall. Because of the way the cable is on the donor car, I had to run it through from the engine bay side, which is a bit difficult from above.

The bottom two bolts are perfectly lined up for the shifter bracket, but I had to put a tech screw through the floor to hold the front down.

The column shifter keeps waving at me. I'll need to replace the steering column to get rid of it, and also to get the cable to the floor shift to lock it when the key's not in run. Right now, I can wave it back and forth from P to 1 when the car's off. I'll splice the light wires into the cigarette lighter the next time I'm bored... it's not really a concern.

Assembled.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Looks good man! Nice Gen IV console... I HATE my gen 3 console.. it rattles and creaks when you lean on it. The Gen IV consoles are alot more solid.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
NICE Work! That looks GREAT man. seriously.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't really have to replace the entire steering column. Just take the shifter off and put in a floor shifter's column shroud. I believe the ignition lock can be swapped over too without changing the column.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116...tires/146733-how-removing-column-shifter.html
Nice write-up. But unfortunately, I can't figure out how to swap the ignition lock without swapping the entire column. If I can, this'll save me some time & money. Thanks, though.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
There is a pin pressed in place on the column shift that has to be worked out and replaced with a screw from the floor shift mechanism. You have to drop the column down to access this area of it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
What about the brake shift interlock crapola? I thought you needed a different steering column for that.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Same steering column between the two, different attachments for the shift lock. No need to splice wires. The hardest thing is pulling that metal pin out on the opposite end of the shifter handle.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Dubeckyj:
Ok I've got to do this, it looks really good. What was the year of the donor car? How difficult is this to put in if you've already got the floor shifter configuration?

What was the cost?

Any tips or tricks you car to pass along?

Can I assume you put this in your 1997 Sable? Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dubeckyj:
Ok I've got to do this, it looks really good. What was the year of the donor car? How difficult is this to put in if you've already got the floor shifter configuration?

What was the cost?

Any tips or tricks you car to pass along?

Can I assume you put this in your 1997 Sable? Thanks.

Monsoon
The donor car was a G4, I don't know what year. Walk around the boneyard until you see a center console you like. I don't know what the difference is in a G3/G4 floor shifter, you may be able to use your origional shifter and just drop the center console over. If you already have the cable set up for a floor shift, you're 50% there. I think the shifter/console cost me about $50, but it depends on your yard (mine's starting to rip me off... I wish I had a frequent customer discount). The hardest part is I'm STILL trying to find a wire to run the shifter lights to that's not hot. I tried the 12v accessory, but it runs when the car's off. I'm a little lazy, so I don't know when I'll bother looking for a different wire.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The donor car was a G4, I don't know what year. Walk around the boneyard until you see a center console you like. I don't know what the difference is in a G3/G4 floor shifter, you may be able to use your origional shifter and just drop the center console over. If you already have the cable set up for a floor shift, you're 50% there. I think the shifter/console cost me about $50, but it depends on your yard (mine's starting to rip me off... I wish I had a frequent customer discount). The hardest part is I'm STILL trying to find a wire to run the shifter lights to that's not hot. I tried the 12v accessory, but it runs when the car's off. I'm a little lazy, so I don't know when I'll bother looking for a different wire.
With your wire problem see if you can tap off of the cigarette lighter lamp or something similar. I believe there is only one 194 bulb for the gear shifter.

I've got another issue which you may not have. And I didn't see it in your pictures. With the G4 console does it have cut outs in the rear for the AC-Heat vents? I've got the AC-Heat ducts running parallel with the floor shifter as well.

Let me know if the G4 console has rear vents? But I don't think they did.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
2nd issue, due to mine having the factory floor console the OEM console is wrapped around the fascia of the radio.

I would have to swap out the dash fascia for a column configuration of a 3rd gen, like yours. Then install the 4th gen console. I see on your pics for the GS trim line that the driver's side has 3-vents. I have two vents on my 1997 LS Sable with the 3rd (I assume) going to the rear bench seat.

The AC vents to the rear bench seats is going to be a problem.

Monsoon.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's one of the reasons I didn't grab a G3 floor shift. I couldn't figure out how to easily detach it. It does have rear vents, and all the tubing for it. You might have to swap fascias. I had tubing running from under the radio, splitting around the exhaust tunnel under driver & pass. seats, and I didn't investigate where they went, but it looks like I had some rear heating as well... somehow. I didn't have the patience to remove all the interior to take it out properly, so I hacked it to pieces. I now have extra heating to my feet, but I'm not sure about the 2/3 vent issue.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You would need to get a different black box that goes behind the dash to link the rear vents to getting air. Or cut a hole in the right place and add on a piece that goes from the black box, down to the tubing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks amazing! I need to do this to my 97 sable because I love floor shifters and hate the angled cup holders that none of my drinks ever fit in.
Is there a full write up somewhere? or work in progress

1 - 18 of 18 Posts