Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine has a 97 taurus and she was having issues with her battery I jumped her off a few times after about the third day or so her power steering started getting stiff. Also about the same time her fuse for the ciggarette lighter blew out. I replaced the fuse and still issues with the steering I figured well **** must be the pump. I changed out the pump put in new fluid and still issues. Weird thing is I can start the car drive it around really slow less then about 20 to 25 mph and the power steering works perfect. The second I get faster then that and get the rpms up then the steering goes out. It gets really stiff like there is no power steering at all. I can stop the car turn it off and immedately restart the car and the power steering is back till I get speed up again. Once it gets stiff it stays stiff. Even when I slow back down it's still stiff till I turn the car off and back on. I've talked to many many mechanics and no one has ran into this issue. I've had a couple tell me there might be a pressure valve or switch that is holding too much pressure or not enough that needs to be released or replaced. I have no idea where it would be located on the car. Any kind of help would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The valve would be on the rack right by end of the steering column. You have the Variable Active Power Steering so it could be the GEM or the VAPS module too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I dunno if those modules would show up on a diagnostics or not. I had a mechanic friend hook up a computer to it and it wasn't throwing any codes at all. I would think any type of module, sensor, or anything like that would be throwing some type of codes right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow I didn't know that guess I need to call up a dealer and see what they will charge to run a test on it then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts