Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a bit of searching, but didn't find what I was looking for. If I missed it, gimme a chance to throw on some nomex before you whip out the flame throwers!

I've got a 97 SHO with the Mach stereo system in it. Through previous owners, the stuff in the trunk has gotten... disorganized. Right now all I have sound-wise are the two speakers under the back window. I can see that I have speaker pods on the A pillars, but do I also not have speakers in the front doors? Also, in the trunk on the left side, I see a CD changer (eww) and what looks like an amp. The wiring has been hacked a bit. There looks to be a SECOND amp attached to the back of the seats. Am I correct in assuming that the changer and the amp on the left side are OE?

Finally, the biggie. I have the oval head unit/HVAC control head. I'm not finding any sort of aftermarket anything to replace this. Does anyone know if I'm just outta luck?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the amp looking thing in the wheel well is the mach rcu. speakers are in the doors. cd changer in the trunk was a common install location.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^+1. You should have 2 tweeters in the A pillars, 2 6x8 speakers (1 in ea. front door), 2 6x8 speakers likewise in the rear deck, mach amp (rcu) in the left side of the trunk and 6 disc cd changer also in the left side of the trunk. Metra and/or scosche make kits for aftermarket head units.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^+1. You should have 2 tweeters in the A pillars, 2 6x8 speakers (1 in ea. front door), 2 6x8 speakers likewise in the rear deck, mach amp (rcu) in the left side of the trunk and 6 disc cd changer also in the left side of the trunk. Metra and/or scosche make kits for aftermarket head units.
Unfortunately, no aftermarket kit for the football EATC :(

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^+1, Nick. I forgot about the eatc in the sho. Ive got an aftermarket pioneer in a 98 sable with manual controls.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^+1, Nick. I forgot about the eatc in the sho. Ive got an aftermarket pioneer in a 98 sable with manual controls.
how many gen 3s do you have sheila :lol2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys... now I just need to dig up the audio wiring diagram, put everything back to stock, check/replace door & pillar speakers and find an old school tape deck adapter so I can plug in my Phone (Pandora & MP3s)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys... now I just need to dig up the audio wiring diagram, put everything back to stock, check/replace door & pillar speakers and find an old school tape deck adapter so I can plug in my Phone (Pandora & MP3s)
Skip the tape adapter and go with the FRDR-AUX (or similar) adapter. It replaces the changer and gives you an AUX input. If you want, you can then add Bluetooth to connect your phone wirelessly.

There are AUX adapters that allow you to keep the changer, but IIRC, they require an additional switch up front to select inputs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts