Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Taurus LX. It has about 15x.xxx miles on it. Ran and drove perfect for the longest time, Never had any issues. Transmission never seemed to show ANY signs of going out. Fluid was abit dark, But not bad.

Well, The alternator went out on it (Battery light came on, AutoZone said bad diode) and we had to drive it around for abit like that. Never any issues. We got the alternator fixed in it. Then we drove it around for a while... No issues. I left for abit, And come back to find out the car is dead (Not battery, etc) it will not move. I put in ANY gear, and it just sits there... You can tell it's TRYING to move, but just doesn't seem like it's getting enough pressure or whatever. The fluid seemed WAY over filled... But it also wasn't running for long to build up pressure I guess, and it was really dark.

I don't see how a transmission can just go out. It showed NO signs of it. Now it acts like it wants to move, but does not have enough pressure... Almost like it's low on fluid.

Things that came to mind for me, Was either the filter was clogged, Fluid is low and reading wrong, or the pump.. Only things I can think of. Figured I'd post here to get some input.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Check the atf level with it running and the car shut off. If the level doesn't drop it could be the pump went out or the torque converter splines are stripped out.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Well, you had dark fluid. That was the first sign you had issues.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Tranny fluid loses viscosity over time and use, and when it's dark it has the viscosity of a cup of overheated coffee. The fluid not only transmits force from the drive half to the driven half of the system, it lubricates the components. When the fluid gets excessively thinned out - and dark color, burnt smell and high level are all indicators of it - the pumps may work but the fluid's too thin to transfer force. Furthermore - the high level indicates pump failure and/or mechanical failure...usually, in the form of the spline shafts failing.

Really, someone needs to lay eyeballs and tools on your car. A forum at this point can't do much more than tell you what to check to see what failed, and commiserate over the misfortune. (I'll keep my fingers crossed that I am mistaken about the failure part. :unsure: )

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yup, the dark fluid indicates it didn't just go out, this has been an issue thats been coming on for a while.

Stripped splines or a failed pump as mentioned are real possibilities, low fluid, you are really gonna need to get it to someone that can actually diagnose it at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts