Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for about 6 months now off and on:

On ONE occasion, I pulled up to a changing light, stopping slightly abruptly (as opposed to easing in) and the car stalled. It started back up and completed the drive without incident. This was the first time this had ever happened.

On SEVERAL occasions now, the car has not been starting right up as usual. It cranks slightly longer and just feels weaker than usual. It hasn't failed to start each time, and it seems to be cranking quickly enough, but it just feels 'weak'.

On TWO occasions now in the last couple months, I parked at the local Wal-Mart in the same parking spot which keeps the front end of the car slightly elevated - and I experienced the slightly longer cranking and weaker start (to the point where it felt like it wasn't going to 'catch', but it did).

When I come to a stop at a light, for instance, the engine holds firm at about 600-700 rpm, so that's not a problem. It just these 'weak' starts that seem to be occurring from time to time.

Could this be early warning signs that the factory-original fuel pump is on its way out (at almost 197k)?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

On ONE occasion, I pulled up to a changing light, stopping slightly abruptly (as opposed to easing in) and the car stalled. It started back up and completed the drive without incident. This was the first time this had ever happened.

On SEVERAL occasions now, the car has not been starting right up as usual. It cranks slightly longer and just feels weaker than usual. It hasn't failed to start each time, and it seems to be cranking quickly enough, but it just feels 'weak'.

On TWO occasions now in the last couple months, I parked at the local Wal-Mart in the same parking spot which keeps the front end of the car slightly elevated - and I experienced the slightly longer cranking and weaker start (to the point where it felt like it wasn't going to 'catch', but it did).

When I come to a stop at a light, for instance, the engine holds firm at about 600-700 rpm, so that's not a problem. It just these 'weak' starts that seem to be occurring from time to time.

Could this be early warning signs that the factory-original fuel pump is on its way out (at almost 197k)?
Dr says take two pills along with plugs,wires and a new fuel filter
and call back in the morning.

After that, see if any codes pop up on a code scan

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Fuel Pump

Likely it's time is up.

Here is how to tell. Turn the key to on, but not start. Listen for the pump. It should run for about 1 second and quit. Turn it off, then back on again and it should run again. Then start it after it has had two runs at pumping up pressure. If it starts good then, it is likely a weak pump, or pressure regulator leaking back.

If it were a fuel filter issue, it would run weak at higher rpm, hard load.

-chart-

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chartmaker, soundu:

Thanks for your replies. I know the pump is making its usual humming noise at startup, but I haven't tried the 'double pump' method to see if that has any effect. That'll be interesting.

As far as the fuel filter, I probably should replace it just in case it's having SOME effect, but my experience with repairing my cars over the past 25 years (and commenting and reading the trials and tribulations of others) is that it's never the fuel filter. You would think over a long period of time it would constrict flow somewhat, but it seems like it always gets changed and it's never the solution. My Colt ran 250,000 miles with the factory fuel filter still in place, and now my Taurus has almost 200,000 with its original filter. Makes you wonder if it's filtering the fuel AT ALL ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts