Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there I have a 97 GL SW that has been acting up lately. The power windows, power steering, and the delay wipers stop working after 20 minutes of driving. I discovered that if you put the car in neutral or park the windows steering and wipers all work great. I have read a few different posts that mention the shift postion sensor as maybe the problem, but would like to se if anybody else has had a similar problem.

Only 237,000 K on the car that I have been driving since DEC 97. Been pretty happy so far. I have changed two front wheel bearings, feul Pump, lots of brake parts and a few sets of tires. I hope to get 1 or 2 more years out of it before I get my new Nissan Altima 3.5ser.

Thanks in advance for any replies

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 97 GL wagon that I have had a number of electrical problems with. They have all stemmed from broken wires in the wiring loom. Your problems with the wipers and power windows have all the hallmarks of bad wire connections or broken wires. I don't see a relationship between the shift position and the function of the power windows or wipers, except when the vehicle is in gear the engine RPM will drop and the engine may vibrate more The power steering is not an electrical device and will not be affected by a bad electrical connection. Possibly your engine idle is set too low. Are your other power devices working normally? Lights and audio sytem? If they are look for a current interruption between the under hood fuse/relay panel and the faulty devices. If you are interested I can tell you of a specific place to check. You will also benifit from a wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
It sounds like your RANGE sensor for your transmission is on its way out. This is the black box on top of your transmission. Replace it, and you should be ok to go.

Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts