Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some thoughts on my situation..I have change the VSS as well as some burnt up crispy wires leading to the VSS. After doing this the speedometer/odometer still does not work.

I then changed out the speedo/odome gauges with known working ones from a friend. Still not working.

What would you advise for me to try next?

Computer??? - since the wires leading to the VSS were melted and fused together? Also note that once in a blue moon the speedo/odo will work for a bit..but its very very rare.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
If youre not having tranny shift point or engine driveability problems, i would do as Jeff K suggested and carefully inspect the wiring carrying the signal to the back of the speedo in the cluster (iirc, gray/black wire). I dont remember if the speed signal goes from vss to pcm to speedo or directly from vss to speedo.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Is there another name for vehicle speed sensor? I cannot find it in my wiring diagram manual.

EDIT: If VSS is same as output shaft speed sensor (OSS), it goes directly to PCM according to my 2005 manual. 97 different?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
TSS is trans. main oil pump shaft speed, OSS is trans. drive shaft speed (Output Shaft Speed) I think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
forgot about chilton manuals!! omw to autozone now...damn i am losing my mind..or lost it already...i forget which...lol

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Is there another name for vehicle speed sensor? I cannot find it in my wiring diagram manual.

EDIT: If VSS is same as output shaft speed sensor (OSS), it goes directly to PCM according to my 2005 manual. 97 different?
There are a couple of different units, depending on which engine/transmission you have. Some are electronic signal only (to PCM) others have a drive cable to speedo and signal to PCM as well.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I am confused a bit. So should I try changing out the TSS?
Are you having shifting problems? (TSS helps PCM determine shift points.) If not, then no. Did you already change OSS? If yes, then you need to trace some wires (OSS to PCM, PCM to speedo) and make sure they're OK.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
OSS?? no I changed the VSS and the speedo head unit in the dash. Where is the OSS located at?
Uhm, nevermind, I'm getting mixed up between your's & Paker's posts. No OSS on a '97. Sounds like it's time to ring out some harness issues, sorry!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok away to testing, unwrapping, tugging, pulling, cutting wires I go! If this dont fix it my bud said a gallon of gas and a match will!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
hmmm should i just order and replace the computer before I start the trace?
I wouldn't, that's an expensive part to replace it it's not faulty, shotgunning parts at a problem is never the way to go IMO. If your car seems to be shifting OK, then we know the signal from the VSS to PCM is good. I would check PCM output to speedo first, starting at the speedo and working backwards from there. Are your instrument panel fuses all good?, and I don't mean instrument panel lighting. You did mention crispy wires earlier, I would check ALL fuses & make sure they are good. Also remember that the best way to check a wire is by doing continuity testing with a meter, not all bad wiring is visibly bad.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts