Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings....
New to this site, but I need help. Both my Idler and Tensioner went south a few weeks back and I replaced both with no problems. After doing that, I started to hear a strange noise, almost like a rattling with some grinding thrown in for good measure.
After looking at the serpentine belt, I saw the pulley on the A/C compressor wobbling alot!!! The AC works fine, nice and cold. Just very noisy!
My question, is there a bearing in that pulley? If so, is it easily replaceable? I know there aint much room down there. Or possibly the clutch is bad also. I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
-reever

·
Registered
285 Posts
My '96 does this, too. I have a friend who works at the local Ford dealership, he said that my clutch is going bad. The bearing (on mine) is fine.

You might be able to get in there with a can of Clutch/Brake Cleaner and blast out the worst of the dust, that may help. The root cause of the problem (so I'm told) is that the clutch gap is wrong, due to wear or mis-adjustment (shims). The friction plate can warp, too. That doesn't help matters any.

New clutch will run you about $100, + labor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got home and looked at the pulley. With the car running, the pullet is actually wobbling! Is this the bearing or the clutch? Again the AC is fine. When clutch engages, the noise disappears!
Any more ideas? By the way, thanks for the quick response to my initial post....

-reever

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the bearing on the pulley rides on hub of the compressor, and if the bearing locks up causing the race of the bearing to spin on the hub of the compressor this will ruin the hub of the compressor and cause the wobbling. the only way to no is to have the clutch taken off and the tolerance of the hub checked. If the hub is bad then you need a new compressor and clutch. If the hub is Ok then you only need a new clutch

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts. I am gonna park it til the weekend and check it out. To replace the clutch, will I lose the refrigerant charge?
Thanks
-reever

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by reever@Apr 27 2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the posts. I am gonna park it til the weekend and check it out. To replace the clutch, will I lose the refrigerant charge?
Thanks
-reever
If the refrig lines going to compressor aren't removed then you will not loose any refrigerant, but if you need to completely remove the compressor out of the car to get the clutch off then you will need to take it into a garage and have the refrig recovered its illegal to vent any type of refrigerant, and at that point you probably should have the garage do the hole job. They have the proper equipment. Working on the A/C can be dangerous

ALWAYS WARE EYE PROTECTION

1 - 6 of 6 Posts