Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to site. i just replaced my fuel pump correctly to the best of my knowledge, but i cannot get it to prime. i wore the battery down trying. no fuel at the rail. i have a full tank of gas. everything is connected right. i do not have access to a meter to check for volt drop and such. the old pump worked but cut out often(gas shortage in georgia dirtied the sock). any help with priming and how long it should take would be wonderous. i am thinking it may be something simple. first pump i ever replaced. thanks for the help

·
Registered
205 Posts
new to site. i just replaced my fuel pump correctly to the best of my knowledge, but i cannot get it to prime. i wore the battery down trying. no fuel at the rail. i have a full tank of gas. everything is connected right. i do not have access to a meter to check for volt drop and such. the old pump worked but cut out often(gas shortage in georgia dirtied the sock). any help with priming and how long it should take would be wonderous. i am thinking it may be something simple. first pump i ever replaced. thanks for the help
[/b]
Did this twice, it primes in no time. Check inertia switch, if the voltage shows at the connection (94 has it under the rear seat, right hand side) and continuity thru the pump, you can use test lamp for voltage. You should definitely hear the pump humming for a second or so when turning key to Run, just don't start the engine, the noise will drown the pump sound. Other than that, I will have to have a look at my old pump to see what else is possible to screw there... :)
good luck
Stan

[/b]
If the fuel pump runs, check if the lines are reconnected properly, feed and return where they belong.
Stan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Maybe you stirred up dirt and plugged the fuel filter or sock. If the pump is running it could be running backwards, but I don't see how if you are using the org plugs.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Maybe you stirred up dirt and plugged the fuel filter or sock. If the pump is running it could be running backwards, but I don't see how if you are using the org plugs.
[/b]
The pump can't be running backwards. The plug only goes together one way. And the fuel lines are different sizes, so you can't put them on the wrong way around either. Make sure that the pump is actually running. If it is, it could be faulty, as it should build enough pressure to start and run the car within a few seconds of cranking. You may want to change your fuel filter for the hell of it, since if there was enough crap in your tank to plug up the old pump, your filter could be clogged too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all replies. i simply did a redo and it works. i did change the fuel filter. unfortunately, the car is still stalling at stops and when coasting with foot off the pedal. not every light or stop sign but enough to make it a hassle. it revs up to about 1800 rpms and holds for a bit then drops below 500 and stalls shortly after.

also, how do you get the engine light to go off in a ford. my other cars had a pedal trick and disconnect battery for a short time. maybe a reset might stop this.(never mind this one, disconnected positive term with key on and it cleared).

thanks for the help in advance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts