Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to start the car this morning...it started, but it was like a half start and it coughed and sputtered a lot. also sounded like it wanted to backfire.

i shut it off and started it again and it fired right up.

this has only happened twice, and both times the engine was completely cold...had sat overnight. it only happens when the car is cold. i start it the rest of the day and after two or three seconds of winding up it kicks right in.

my first thought was the spark plugs. I know they haven't been changed since 75k (car now has 101k) and how long before that, I don't know. when i gun the car really hard, it makes a low growling sound, almost like it isn't getting enough fuel. it doesn't miss, just growls and i'm wondering if plugs might not be causing that also. that started about three or four weeks before the starting issues.

am i on the mark here, or am i overlooking something? any insights would be great.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What kind of oil do you use in your car? If you're using a heavier oil, it might cause the engine to slowly start up, not turning over immediately...

JR

·
Registered
27 Posts
hahahaha
damn reading this thread it makes me think i should change my plugs and wires
i have 95000km
and still havent changed them

my car starts kinda hard
i use full synthetic 10w30 in the summer
but sometimes 5w30 in the winter

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
The weight of the oil shouldn't cause any problems with it being summer and all (unless you were to have some ridiculously heavy and not recommended oil weight)

It wouldn't hurt for both of you (LoadedLX and yogi2) to replace your plugs since they have as many miles on them as they do. I replaced mine recently with 64K on them and they were in poor shape. It did wonders for performance but i still have the same sort of hesitation you describe to start after it sitting for a few days without running. I don't get the sputter or the sound of wanting to back fire but it takes a few extra cranks to start it after it it has sit a few days (and no it's not the battery, in my case at least)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would guess to check your battery. Mine would do almost the same kinda thing, so I got my battery tested and it turned out that it was on its way out.

Julian

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'll do that tomorrow. i think autozone tests batteries for free. my wife and i are taking a trip up north to see her mother, so i'll change the plugs and wires before that and give 'em an interstate run to break 'em in.

i'll let you know about the battery. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts